Dollar at LAS: Questions/reviews/recommendations

Old Aug 18, 11, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Dollar at LAS: Questions/reviews/recommendations

Hi,

Months ago I rented a car for a week when we'll travel to Vegas in Sept. The reservation was done thru Traveljigsaw and today I got the confirmation that the car (dodge charger or equivalent) is booked to 'Dollar car rental'.

I have looked up this company and I find a lot of negative reviews from people having to wait 1 to 2 hours to get their car! Also cars that break down and that you need to get the car fixed and then reclaim it afterwards?

I am very worried now about this. We arrive at Vegas Mc Carran on a Thursday night around 8:30PM.

Does anyone have experience with this car rental company? (I have been to the US once before and then we had Alamo car rental which was pretty good)

The problem is that when I booked via traveljigsaw they didn't tell which car rental company it would be.
Old Aug 18, 11, 2:55 am

Programs: NZ *G
It's only one opinion.. but I too book through consolidators (for an "all inclusive" rate) and Alamo and Dollar both feature heavily...

I haven't personally had any trouble with Dollar... it might be fair to say the cars are a bit more used than some other companies seem to offer.. but that may be a YMMV situation....
Old Aug 18, 11, 10:36 am
G*G

Don't have personal experience with Dollar but at least they're based in the car rental center with all the other large brands so shouldn't take you substantially longer than with the other companies to get your car. You take the regular car rental shuttle from the airport - only a few minutes ride and they're fairly frequent, depending on your arrival time.

Just steer clear of Fox which is based miles away from anything else. And the cars are old and crappy.

Enjoy Vegas!
Old Aug 18, 11, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I rented with Dollar at LAS last year and had no problems. All the major rental car companies are in a consolidated facility and the buses to there run fairly frequently. if you haven't already, join Dollar Express and call Dollar to get your number applied to your rental. This will allow you to bypass the line at the counter (which can be long). It's free and then you can credit points to your favorite earning program. Car selection was decent too.
Old Aug 19, 11, 2:03 am
Original Poster

cool thanks for the advice, I am less worried now .
Old Aug 19, 11, 5:02 am
Original Poster

I just enrolled in that Dollar express... they should contact me wihtin 3 days. A bit strange that they need my employer's name, address and my credit card info though.
Old Aug 20, 11, 7:36 am

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Gold, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
I rent from Dollar occasionally at LAS and have not had any problems.

Enrolling in Dollar Express will save you some time
Old Aug 20, 11, 10:56 am
Suspended

I can't speak to LAS specifically, but in general, I find Dollar and Thrifty to be pretty consistently the best of the "off" brands - better than Alamo and Budget and Payless and Fox, in terms of reliability of getting a good car at a good price with no gotchas.
Old Aug 20, 11, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by DJGMaster1 View Post
I can't speak to LAS specifically, but in general, I find Dollar and Thrifty to be pretty consistently the best of the "off" brands - better than Alamo and Budget and Payless and Fox, in terms of reliability of getting a good car at a good price with no gotchas.
I made good experience with Budget when renting overseas (Australia) - always clean, new-ish cars, friendly and well-informed employees, never any issue when returning the car - and could even collect 500 miles on cheap 50$ rates with EK - If Dollar is better than them, I would definitely not worry about it.
Old Aug 22, 11, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated ;-)
Old Aug 22, 11, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

One gotta love bureaucracy... so I just received my Dollar Express confirmation email. I call them to have my reservation assigned to my express member #, so that I can skip the long waiting line...

The lady on the phone says she can't do it because I didn't book the car directly on the Dollar website
I booked this rental car via 'traveljigsaw' which is a site that uses different rental companies. So for that reason no points for me, no skipping the line, and also no frequent flyer miles that I can assign to the account. (which would have been 2 people travelling from Europe)

Guess I know the system now ;-)
Old Aug 22, 11, 5:43 pm

Just to throw my two bits in...
Would have recommended Dollar Express too but too bad that you can't assign your reservation to it. We've rented from Dollar a few times and when the main counter was long (10+ people) the express pick up was for us at most 2.

Of the few times we've booked with Dollar in LAS over the last few years, we've only had one issue where they were going to charge us an extra day because they wrote down our pick up time wrong [check your paperwork before you leave!]. However, was able to resolve pretty quickly when I indicated the pickup time was impossible because of our flight arrival time (which, in addition was delayed).

As with any rental, check your car thoroughly before you leave the rental centre. It's dark in there and it's difficult sometimes to spot damage.

I wouldn't hesitate to book from Dollar again the next time we're in Vegas.
Old Sep 11, 11, 2:43 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Have rented from Dollar several times over the years. Cheap and good, no problems. A car itself is often a nuisance in Vegas, though, so be sure you need it. Most trips, we would never use a car, it comes up once every couple years or so.
Old Sep 12, 11, 6:15 am
Original Poster

We'll go to the grand canyon and 2 days to page so we definately need a car ;-)
Old Sep 12, 11, 8:24 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
I rented at Dollar Las Vegas once in January, and the car and service were fine (about the same as everyone else).

However when doing the paperwork the guy asked, "Would you like to buy the insurance, or handle accidents and law enforcement problems on your own?" When he got to the law enforcement part he gestured like his hands were being cuffed. Hehe.

As if the car didn't already come with the minimum legal insurance, so I better sign up for extra to avoid arrest. Neat sales trick, I bet a lotta folks fell for it.

BTW, I seem to recall they had a special line for Dollar Express members. So even if your rental is not "assigned" to your DE account, you can still cut the line by flashing your DE card (if you have one).

Search this Thread