Satellite radio?

Old Jun 30, 11, 5:07 pm
NBL
Original Poster

Satellite radio?

I haven't rented from Dollar in a little while. Does anyone have any idea approximately what percentage of Dollar's fleet has built-in satellite radio? If it makes a difference, I have a compact reserved at BOI. Going to be driving a lot of miles through some very desolate areas, and Sirius would make it a lot more pleasant.
Old Jun 30, 11, 11:30 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by NBL View Post
I haven't rented from Dollar in a little while. Does anyone have any idea approximately what percentage of Dollar's fleet has built-in satellite radio? If it makes a difference, I have a compact reserved at BOI. Going to be driving a lot of miles through some very desolate areas, and Sirius would make it a lot more pleasant.
The Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep products should have Sirius activated by the factory for an initial 12-month period. Chances are pretty good that you'll be able to get a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep product and that it will have working satellite radio.

DTAG is getting a lot of Fords in the fleet mix now, though, and I don't know what they come with as far as satellite radio is concerned.

GM cars get (IIRC) a 3-month demo of satellite radio, so if you find a GM on the lot, I wouldn't count on the satellite radio working.
Old Jul 6, 11, 6:51 am

Considering it is a compact, I wouldn't bet on it. I think all Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep rentals are Midsize and up (Is the Caliber a compact?). You might get a Focus with satellite radio, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old Jul 9, 11, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
DTAG is getting a lot of Fords in the fleet mix now, though, and I don't know what they come with as far as satellite radio is concerned.
Most Fords come with a three month trial as well.
Old Jul 18, 11, 12:18 pm

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Most Fords come with a three month trial as well.
Last month, I had a brand new Focus that did not have Satelite radio installed in it.... but I'm not 100% sure if it was a Dollar or a Thrifty rental.
Old Aug 1, 11, 5:55 pm
NBL
Original Poster

Just to follow-up:

I ended up getting a free upgrade to a 2010 Ford Escape (I actually would've preferred the smaller car for the better gas mileage but the Escape ended up better in that regard than I expected). It had Sirius installed but not activated. When I tuned to Sirius all I could get was a commercial for the service.

Search this Thread