Time Frame for Credits to Post

 
Old May 31, 11, 10:27 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Green Valley, AZ
Posts: 136
Time Frame for Credits to Post

I rented a car in PDX from 5-11 thru 5-15 and am still waiting for the credits to post to my WN RR#. I have sent 4 e-mails to Dollar and have gotten nothing but the run around. Is this the normal way of doing business at Dollar?

Thanks for any insight you can provide

GVretiredguy
GVretiredguy is offline  
Old May 31, 11, 2:50 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 29,652
My credits to AA often take a few weeks. I'd sit tight for a little while longer.
CMK10 is offline  
Old Jun 2, 11, 9:41 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Green Valley, AZ
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
My credits to AA often take a few weeks. I'd sit tight for a little while longer.
My last Dollar rental was posted in a few days. Looks like they are getting to be like everyone else, "A day late and a dollar short."
GVretiredguy is offline  
Old Jun 4, 11, 5:06 am
  #4  
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Posts: 22,887
Originally Posted by GVretiredguy View Post
My last Dollar rental was posted in a few days. Looks like they are getting to be like everyone else, "A day late and a dollar short."
Dollar PDX is a franchised location using the (insanely crappy/poorly-designed/unreliable) TSD rental software. (If you ever open an independent or franchised rental office, do not use TSD! Go with Bluebird instead. FAR better, though that's not saying much... )

TSD's software does not automatically upload frequent flyer data to Dollar's corporate HQ (where frequent flyer credit is handled). Once a month, someone at Dollar PDX has to manually run a report that saves the frequent flyer data to a CSV file. That CSV file is then emailed to the frequent flyer department at DTG in Tulsa, where it is processed. It takes some time after that for the data to make its way to the respective loyalty program partners and eventually into your account.

I believe the Dollar site indicates that loyalty program points can take up to 6-8 weeks to post, and in the case of a Dollar licensee, you can expect it to take nearly that full amount.

All that said, I can't see how it's "a day late and a dollar short." Dollar is giving you exactly what you asked for in exactly the timeframe they promised (less, actually, given you received it less than a month after the rental). It's nothing intentional on Dollar's part, at least beyond not spending the money to upgrade the necessary systems (or pushing their third-party vendors to upgrade their systems), and is certainly not due to any malicious intent on Dollar's part.
jackal is offline  
Old Jun 11, 11, 4:26 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 866
The original question...

probably arises out of the fact that every single car rental company tells you your miles/points may take 6-8 weeks to post, but in point of fact, most post within 2 weeks (indeed if they don't, I assume there's a problem). So when it doesn't happen, despite the language, we are disappointed because we see the "6-8 week" statement more as a "cover your butt" and not an accurate reflection of timing in most instances. So although I don't disagree with you, I appreciate where the original poster's expectations are coming from...our expectations not being managed well by the car rental industry's effort to give themselves slack vs how they actually perform.

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Dollar PDX is a franchised location using the (insanely crappy/poorly-designed/unreliable) TSD rental software. (If you ever open an independent or franchised rental office, do not use TSD! Go with Bluebird instead. FAR better, though that's not saying much... )

TSD's software does not automatically upload frequent flyer data to Dollar's corporate HQ (where frequent flyer credit is handled). Once a month, someone at Dollar PDX has to manually run a report that saves the frequent flyer data to a CSV file. That CSV file is then emailed to the frequent flyer department at DTG in Tulsa, where it is processed. It takes some time after that for the data to make its way to the respective loyalty program partners and eventually into your account.

I believe the Dollar site indicates that loyalty program points can take up to 6-8 weeks to post, and in the case of a Dollar licensee, you can expect it to take nearly that full amount.

All that said, I can't see how it's "a day late and a dollar short." Dollar is giving you exactly what you asked for in exactly the timeframe they promised (less, actually, given you received it less than a month after the rental). It's nothing intentional on Dollar's part, at least beyond not spending the money to upgrade the necessary systems (or pushing their third-party vendors to upgrade their systems), and is certainly not due to any malicious intent on Dollar's part.
randix is offline  
Old Jul 6, 11, 4:55 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Green Valley, AZ
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Dollar PDX is a franchised location using the (insanely crappy/poorly-designed/unreliable) TSD rental software. (If you ever open an independent or franchised rental office, do not use TSD! Go with Bluebird instead. FAR better, though that's not saying much... )

TSD's software does not automatically upload frequent flyer data to Dollar's corporate HQ (where frequent flyer credit is handled). Once a month, someone at Dollar PDX has to manually run a report that saves the frequent flyer data to a CSV file. That CSV file is then emailed to the frequent flyer department at DTG in Tulsa, where it is processed. It takes some time after that for the data to make its way to the respective loyalty program partners and eventually into your account.

I believe the Dollar site indicates that loyalty program points can take up to 6-8 weeks to post, and in the case of a Dollar licensee, you can expect it to take nearly that full amount.

All that said, I can't see how it's "a day late and a dollar short." Dollar is giving you exactly what you asked for in exactly the timeframe they promised (less, actually, given you received it less than a month after the rental). It's nothing intentional on Dollar's part, at least beyond not spending the money to upgrade the necessary systems (or pushing their third-party vendors to upgrade their systems), and is certainly not due to any malicious intent on Dollar's part.
Thanks for all the information. It is quite evident that you have a tremendous amount of knowledge in this area. I would like to clarify a couple of points.
I never used the words nor implied that there was any malicious intent as you stated in your response. I was merely questioning why I got such great service on 2 occasions, and why not for the third.

It is now July 6th and I have completed the second update of my Rapid Reward account and still no points from Dollar. I was originally told that it would be taken care of in 14-21 days. I have sent 4 e-mails and each time have gotten the response that it has been "turned over to our frequent flyer department for IMMEDIATE correction and handling".

After reading your very detailed and informative description of the process at Dollar, I have come to the conclusion that the quick response I got on my prior rentals was merely blind, a$$ luck, or good timing, and had nothing to do with exceptional customer service.

I do know that I certainly will be very careful about which rental company I use in the future. Since this rental I have used a different company and have received my points in a very timely fashion. The 1800 points that I was to have earned with this rental were enough for me to purchase a flight for this fall to the East Coast. Flying from Arizona to New York can be quite costly and the timing of this rental was perfect, save for the fact that I have yet to receive my points.

Anyway, thank you very much for all the information and description of the very lengthly process Dollar uses to process frequent flyer rentals. I trust that all those who read this post will gain some valuable knowledge from your post.

Best to you in the future,
GVretiredguy
GVretiredguy is offline  
Old Jul 6, 11, 7:26 pm
  #7  
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Posts: 22,887
Originally Posted by GVretiredguy View Post
Anyway, thank you very much for all the information and description of the very lengthly process Dollar uses to process frequent flyer rentals.
Note that what I described above ONLY affects franchised Dollar locations. Dollar PDX (and SEA, which is part of the same franchise) is probably the largest still-remaining franchised location, as several years ago, DTG (corporate) started buying up the larger franchises and turning them into corporate operations.

So, unless you're renting from Dollar PDX, SEA, SLC, or a small handful of other mid-sized and smaller airports, the delays in processing frequent flyer (and/or Dollar Express) credits should not be a problem. I have never had a problem getting my credits posted in a relatively quick timeframe when renting from corporate locations.
jackal is offline  
Old Jul 12, 11, 2:21 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Green Valley, AZ
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Note that what I described above ONLY affects franchised Dollar locations. Dollar PDX (and SEA, which is part of the same franchise) is probably the largest still-remaining franchised location, as several years ago, DTG (corporate) started buying up the larger franchises and turning them into corporate operations.

So, unless you're renting from Dollar PDX, SEA, SLC, or a small handful of other mid-sized and smaller airports, the delays in processing frequent flyer (and/or Dollar Express) credits should not be a problem. I have never had a problem getting my credits posted in a relatively quick timeframe when renting from corporate locations.
Hi jackal,I have a proposition for you. You seem to have a lot of inside contacts and ways to get things done. I just received an e-mail from the Dollar Frequent Flyer folks which claims that they cannot even find my completed rental information for this rental. If I PM you the necessary info. reserv #, Dates , rental Agreement # , etc. would you check to see if you can get me my 1800 points?????? I guess it is an even bigger challenge because I DID rent at the PDX Dollar.

Let me know if you are willing to help out.
Thanks for considering my offer
GVretiredguy
GVretiredguy is offline  
Old Aug 15, 11, 11:47 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ONT
Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Posts: 2,144
My last Dollar PDX rental took five weeks to post to my RR account. Most other Dollar locations take about two weeks.

Good clarification here on how the software effects credits.
Michael El is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread