Price jumps

 
Old Feb 18, 11, 8:46 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Price jumps

I see the rates are from noon to noon on every day but I need to pick up a car at 7am and drop it off at 6pm. The price skyrockets from 18.99 a day to 42.99 a day. My question is that if I book the car for noon and go to the rental car company at 7am at an airport would they give me the car for the lower rate as if I was picking it up at noon?
chitowncraig is offline  
Old Feb 24, 11, 5:10 am
  #2  
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Posts: 22,882
Originally Posted by chitowncraig View Post
I see the rates are from noon to noon on every day but I need to pick up a car at 7am and drop it off at 6pm. The price skyrockets from 18.99 a day to 42.99 a day. My question is that if I book the car for noon and go to the rental car company at 7am at an airport would they give me the car for the lower rate as if I was picking it up at noon?
The rental computer systems (as opposed to the reservation systems) are generally not sophisticated enough to modify the rate once you've booked it. The exception would be if you're booking a weekend rate that has certain time-based criteria (minimum length-of-rental, time/day restrictions, etc.), in which case, yes, you would fall back to the more expensive rate. If this isn't a weekend rental, though, I can't think of a time I've ever seen anyone's rate change because they picked up early.
jackal is offline  
Old Feb 24, 11, 5:31 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6
I want to pick up on thursday which is a normal day rate and then friday-monday is the weekend rate.
chitowncraig is offline  
Old Mar 10, 11, 12:18 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Posts: 866
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
The rental computer systems (as opposed to the reservation systems) are generally not sophisticated enough to modify the rate once you've booked it. The exception would be if you're booking a weekend rate that has certain time-based criteria (minimum length-of-rental, time/day restrictions, etc.), in which case, yes, you would fall back to the more expensive rate. If this isn't a weekend rental, though, I can't think of a time I've ever seen anyone's rate change because they picked up early.
Why not just call the location and ask about the pick-up time window?
MIT_SBM is offline  
Old Mar 10, 11, 2:46 am
  #5  
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Posts: 22,882
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM View Post
Why not just call the location and ask about the pick-up time window?
Unless it's a franchised location, good luck finding the direct phone number to the rental office. At corporate stores, all phone traffic is funneled to the main corporate call center (Tulsa and Manila).
jackal is offline  
Old Mar 10, 11, 3:46 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Posts: 866
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Unless it's a franchised location, good luck finding the direct phone number to the rental office. At corporate stores, all phone traffic is funneled to the main corporate call center (Tulsa and Manila).
I have never had a problem with calling the toll free number and asking for the direct number to the location that I desire. YMMV, I guess.
MIT_SBM is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread