Old Oct 15, 10, 9:21 am
Original Poster

$1/day from NY area to...Texas??

http://www.thrifty.com/Deals/Feature...=&SearchParam=

http://www.dollar.com/specials/featured/roud1.aspx
Old Oct 15, 10, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

This seems silly.

When the rates in FL are $20/day during hurricane season, the one-way specials, at least with the other companies, are pointed at the NY direction, where the car can fetch $100/day in the Manhattan market. The FL drivein is right now with Alamo, in the shoulder season when rates are similar as demand is starting to shift. The FL peak season is coming up, along with NYC-style rates.

A lot of people drive NY to FL in the fall. A lot of people drive SEA to SAN, but that one-way special is apparently gone, seemingly prematurely. I don't think a lot of people are looking to drive NY to Texas and Oklahoma. But that's what Dollar currently wants.

If you check the weekend rate roundtrip picking up from a Manhattan neighborhood store, it's $100+/day for all car sizes. This is considered normal for that market. If you check the rate picking up on any day in Manhattan and returning to Tulsa OK or locations throughout Texas, it's the special $1/day rate for a midsize. Clearly those who do want such a trip get a better value by taking the car on a weekend.

Roundtrip weekend rates in the participating drop locations are in the $20/day range. Weekday rates are in the same ballpark as NY, $50-$70/day. These prices are all normal for the markets in question.

So the cars are going from a stronger market to weaker ones.
Old Oct 20, 10, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Seems like a good deal to me
Old Oct 20, 10, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
thats my type of deal
Old Oct 21, 10, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Agreed, it's a good deal for people wanting to do this route, which I doubt is in the range of people who would have done the FL route. This is in large part due to the cultural similarities and affinities between NY and FL, versus the cultural chasm between the Northeast and Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc.

Many NYC people do not have a driver's license, and do not subscribe to the roadtrip culture that many other regions of the country enjoy. When my friends who live in NYC hear I did several rental car roadtrips, they can't imagine what I'm talking about when I say that Wyoming is 400 miles long, takes 8 hours to drive through, and has some interesting rock formations along the way. Everything they need is within one or two city blocks for them. Ironically, people I met in Wyoming knew where the Hudson River is.

Some who do have a license and live in both NY and FL part-time will do the FL rental car specials. By contrast, I'm betting more of the people who do the one-way special to TX will be people flying in for the sake of the roadtrip, such as people from the targeted receiving areas.
Old Jan 22, 11, 7:47 am
Original Poster

I think I see what happened here: Unusually good deals for cars purchased in the NY area with all the companies, and the Super Bowl this year is in Dallas.
Old Jan 22, 11, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can we expect a glut of cars in Dallas after the Super Bowl? With $1 rates OUT of Texas?
Old Jan 23, 11, 6:05 am
Original Poster

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Shunting the surplus from NY was probably instead of purchasing more new cars in Dallas. They still might have purchased more cars, because having a one-way special and actually getting people to do it, especially on a route that straddles a cultural divide and is not exactly the most popular, are not necessarily the same things.

But I doubt the cars they purchased in TX will be enough to cause a later glut. The Super Bowl in TX is a one-time event, whereas FL's peak season is basically late fall through early spring. Many of the FL drivein cars could be aging out of the fleet during or soon after FL's peak season. They probably replaced some cars sold during or after the slower summer hurricane season. Some new cars were purchased in FL to seasonally expand the FL fleet and replace some of the older drivein cars. Many of those will be one-wayed north after Spring Break during the FL driveout. (A few years ago when I did the FL driveout with Hertz, the Cobalt had an in-service sticker on the driver door that suggested the car had been acquired in December right before Christmas.)

Search this Thread