FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dollar | Express Renter Rewards (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dollar-express-renter-rewards-closed-posting-422/)
-   -   Lock Low and Go SFO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dollar-express-renter-rewards-closed-posting/1135134-lock-low-go-sfo.html)

sfo_girl Oct 10, 2010 8:48 am

Lock Low and Go SFO

I am going to SFO in Dec we need two cars for 18 days over the Christmas and New Year holidays,we are traveling with grand mothers and children!! we booked with Dollar Lock Low and Go any idea what type car are available SFO 2010. I would like to hear some experiances that happened in 2010 the only threads I have found happened in 07 and 08 :)
car rental sfo dollar rent a car

Auto Enthusiast Oct 10, 2010 9:09 am

Do you really want to pay 18 days of SFO airport fees? Dollar has a few neighborhood stores in San Francisco, with lower base rates and lower taxes. You can one-way back to the airport for either no or a small extra cost.

Dollar's business model has an unbundled drop charge that is the same regardless of days rented and immune from discounts. So this favors long time, short distance one-ways, like what you might consider. Neighborhood stores typically have less selection than airports, however.

sfo_girl Oct 10, 2010 10:04 am

lock low and go sfo 2010

We arrive at SFO 11:45 pm with 9 people and need and the cars to get to the city. The in town car rentals do not stay open past 8:00pm, We booked the "lock low and go" at 2 cars each $460 including tax for 18 day unlimited mileage. Just wondering what kind of cars they use for LL and go and if any body has had good experiance with it at SFO

Auto Enthusiast Oct 10, 2010 10:34 am

What about mass transit to the city and then pick up the car in the morning or when you need it to go out of town? Do you want to drive in a big city, and pay for parking? That sort of seems like renting a car at JFK to drive to and within Manhattan. Some people still do it, but often are unhappy with the outcome.

jackal Oct 16, 2010 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast (Post 14918933)
What about mass transit to the city and then pick up the car in the morning or when you need it to go out of town? Do you want to drive in a big city, and pay for parking? That sort of seems like renting a car at JFK to drive to and within Manhattan. Some people still do it, but often are unhappy with the outcome.

Agree wholeheartedly. Mass transit in SFO is FAR better than most other places in the U.S. It's entirely feasible to do as Auto Enthusiast suggests.

At the very least, look into the option of renting from the airport for one day and then dropping off at one of the city branches. Then, book subsequent reservations from the city branch dropping off at the airport. This should get around the higher airport taxes and allow you to keep the car much longer at a much lower price (assuming the drop charges are low to zero).

gohan403 Oct 20, 2010 4:29 pm

BART is always a good Idea