Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Dollar | Express Renter Rewards (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

why is the AMEX discounted rate higher than the regular rate

Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4mil miles, Hilton Gold

I am just booking a car for a week in Boston next week.

The total for a regular reservation is about $368. When I add the AMEX discount code for 10% off the total comes to over $500.

How can these rental car companies get away with trying to fool their customers?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
I don't know why they do this, but it's quite ridiculous. I have had the same experience with other discount codes. One can honestly spend three hours trying every discount code in the book vs the regular price just to be sure that you're getting the best deal.

It's nuts, but all "10% of" codes are not created equal - not even close
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Sometimes, promotional/special rates are loaded in the system that do not qualify for discounts with certain codes.

When you input a discount code, you force the system to search for the lowest discountable rate that applies to that code, which can be enough of a difference that the discount can't take enough off to make it cheaper than the promotional rate.

Rather than spend three hours trying every discount code, book your reservation at http://www.autoslash.com. After you book, Autoslash's system will continue to try various combinations of discounts and ensure you get the lowest possible price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.