Default Breakdown cover

Old Jul 24, 10, 9:09 am
Alt
Original Poster

Programs: BD (RIP); BA
Default Breakdown cover

Could someone please explain what the default breakdown cover is for Dollar?

Specifically I have a prepaid voucher with zero excess that includes 'Collision Damage Waiver - Theft Protection - 3rd Party Liability - Supplimentary Liability Insurance - Uninsured Motorist Protection' but does not specifically mentions breakdown cover. I have in previous occasions been offered breakdown cover as an extra but have refused as I assumed that if I do have a problem, Dollar will be obliged to help.
This time I have booked a PHX-grand Canyon-LAS-PHX trip and am a little worried what would happen if I have a problem in the middle of nowhere

Cheers
Old Jul 25, 10, 10:17 am

Programs: *A Gold
Originally Posted by Alt View Post
Could someone please explain what the default breakdown cover is for Dollar?

Specifically I have a prepaid voucher with zero excess that includes 'Collision Damage Waiver - Theft Protection - 3rd Party Liability - Supplimentary Liability Insurance - Uninsured Motorist Protection' but does not specifically mentions breakdown cover. I have in previous occasions been offered breakdown cover as an extra but have refused as I assumed that if I do have a problem, Dollar will be obliged to help.
Cheers
Hi,

you are covered whenever the breakdown can be ascribed to a faulty vehicle. Engine dies - Dollar will fix it etc.
However, when the breakdown is not Dollar's fault (locked keys inside car, cracked windscreen due to flying debris, run out of gas etc) then the defaut beakdown cover does not help you. If you buy the extra breakdown cover, however, such eventualities will be covered.
Note that a tyre blowout is a problematic case; it is difficult to prove that the tyre was bald when you got the car etc, and if it was then you should have pointed it out and asked for another roadworthy car (and Dollar should not have rented the car out) etc etc. This discussion is endless and not always in the renter's favour. Some companies will out of courtesy fix it for free, others just won't. Towing charges are at the moment a grey area, too.

S.

Search this Thread