LAX Car rental

Old May 20, 10, 2:55 am
Original Poster

LAX Car rental

Hi,

I'm going to rent a car for two weeks in august and the cheapest company seems to be Dollar. I'm just wondering what is the difference between their ICAR and IDAR car classes? If I understand right, they both are intermediates, but what does the C or D mean? The price difference is only a few dollars, but if the cars are the same, I will of course choose the cheaper one (ICAR)...
Old May 20, 10, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Welcome to Flyertalk. I could be wrong but I think the IDAR is reserved for Intermediate SUVs that don't otherwise fit the SUV category. An example would be the Kia Rondo.
Old May 24, 10, 1:42 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk. I could be wrong but I think the IDAR is reserved for Intermediate SUVs that don't otherwise fit the SUV category. An example would be the Kia Rondo.
Actually, that would be IFAR--the F ostensibly standing for Four-wheel-drive.

ICAR is a standard Intermediate CAR. Technically, the IDAR code stands for Intermediate two-Door CAR and is used to differentiate two- and four-door cars in various booking classes. However, there are not too many two-door cars around anymore, and so the code is not always applied consistently.

So, for all intents and purposes, -DAR and -CAR are interchangeable. If you really need four doors, though, and the price is the same, go for the -CAR option--not that it'll do anything, but it'll make you feel better (and may help you should you need to register your dissatisfaction with Customer Care later).
Old May 24, 10, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for putting me straight Jackal, you do know your rental cars.
Old May 25, 10, 1:51 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Thanks for putting me straight Jackal, you do know your rental cars.
Well, in all fairness to you, what I know is largely limited to the forum in which I am currently posting.

Also, I had a friend recently doing a LARGE amount of research into different rental agency booking codes (e.g. CCAR, SFAR, Group W, etc.) for a project. There is little to no consistency among brands not only for type of car but also for what a given size is called in the booking engine. It's probably more confusing than the lack of standardization in airline fare codes (e.g. G, T, M, etc.)!
Old May 25, 10, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Thank you, seems that it was even simpler than what I thought.

Search this Thread