FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dollar | Express Renter Rewards (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dollar-express-renter-rewards-closed-posting-422/)
-   -   LAX Car rental (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dollar-express-renter-rewards-closed-posting/1087252-lax-car-rental.html)

Rippe_ May 20, 2010 2:55 am

LAX Car rental

Hi,

I'm going to rent a car for two weeks in august and the cheapest company seems to be Dollar. I'm just wondering what is the difference between their ICAR and IDAR car classes? If I understand right, they both are intermediates, but what does the C or D mean? The price difference is only a few dollars, but if the cars are the same, I will of course choose the cheaper one (ICAR)...

CMK10 May 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk. I could be wrong but I think the IDAR is reserved for Intermediate SUVs that don't otherwise fit the SUV category. An example would be the Kia Rondo.

jackal May 24, 2010 1:42 am

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 13995820)
Welcome to Flyertalk. I could be wrong but I think the IDAR is reserved for Intermediate SUVs that don't otherwise fit the SUV category. An example would be the Kia Rondo.

Actually, that would be IFAR--the F ostensibly standing for Four-wheel-drive.

ICAR is a standard Intermediate CAR. Technically, the IDAR code stands for Intermediate two-Door CAR and is used to differentiate two- and four-door cars in various booking classes. However, there are not too many two-door cars around anymore, and so the code is not always applied consistently.

So, for all intents and purposes, -DAR and -CAR are interchangeable. If you really need four doors, though, and the price is the same, go for the -CAR option--not that it'll do anything, but it'll make you feel better (and may help you should you need to register your dissatisfaction with Customer Care later). ;)

CMK10 May 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks for putting me straight Jackal, you do know your rental cars.

jackal May 25, 2010 1:51 am

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 14016863)
Thanks for putting me straight Jackal, you do know your rental cars.

Well, in all fairness to you, what I know is largely limited to the forum in which I am currently posting. ;)

Also, I had a friend recently doing a LARGE amount of research into different rental agency booking codes (e.g. CCAR, SFAR, Group W, etc.) for a project. There is little to no consistency among brands not only for type of car but also for what a given size is called in the booking engine. It's probably more confusing than the lack of standardization in airline fare codes (e.g. G, T, M, etc.)!

Rippe_ May 25, 2010 5:06 am

Thank you, seems that it was even simpler than what I thought. :)