FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dollar | Express Renter Rewards (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dollar-express-renter-rewards-closed-posting-422/)
-   -   Newbie Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dollar-express-renter-rewards-closed-posting/1084022-newbie-question.html)

devonodz May 11, 2010 10:17 am

Newbie Question

:D guys, please help to guide me on some car rental issues in US/Canada.
Will be travelling there next week and would like to ask your kind assistance in answering these questions?

1) In the unfortunate event that my rental car hit another car, will the rental company settle for all the damages done (the rental car and the other car) if i buy LDW from the car rental?

2) what cheaper alternative shall i seek other than purchasing LDW from rental car companies?

really appreciate your time guys.

a7800 May 11, 2010 10:22 am

What kind of credit cards do you have?

Some of them make it unecessary to purchase LDW.

devonodz May 11, 2010 10:31 am

CC - No insurance

Originally Posted by a7800 (Post 13938176)
Some of them make it unecessary to purchase LDW.

I have checked and confirmed with my local CC provider that they will not provide any type of insurance to my car rental charges.

BTW, i am from southeast asia.

As for my 1st question, if i purchase LDW, the rental company will be responsible for the rental car. What about the car i run into?

CMK10 May 11, 2010 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by devonodz (Post 13938229)
As for my 1st question, if i purchase LDW, the rental company will be responsible for the rental car. What about the car i run into?

Provided you don't do anything that would void your coverage such as but not limited to:
- drive the car while intoxicated
- let someone not on the contract drive your car
- drive the car outside the contract stated area (e.g. not into Mexico)
- drive off road

The LDW would cover you.

I used to work for Enterprise and in that time period I'd say 1 out of ever 100 cars came back damaged. But if you aren't familiar with driving in the US it may be worth it for the peace of mind.

devonodz May 11, 2010 9:54 pm

Many thanks to your valuable inputs, i think the extra peace of mind is worth every penny.

Just wondering, if i booked my car rental from hotwire/priceline, would the LDW provide coverage as good as LDW from rental car companies themselves?

Elola May 14, 2010 6:48 pm

Remember, the LDW purchased through the car rental company will only cover the rental vehicle; for primary coverage for vehicles you may hit/property you may damage/people you may injure you'll want to also purchase the company's liability product.

No experience with the coverages provided by third parties, but the best peace of mind is definitely gained through purchasing directly through the rental company, otherwise they will charge you and you will have to deal with filing a claim to receive reimbursement/support from the third party.

frankmu May 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Be careful if you cross the US-Canadian border, since you contract may be voided. Ask the car company before you rent.