Late pickup - reservation cancelled

Old Feb 18, 10, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Late pickup - reservation cancelled

I tried to pick up a car in Spokane. I thought I was arriving at 5:00 p.m., but got there at 9:00. The counter agent said my reservation was cancelled, but I could have the same car for 60.00 more than the original agreement. The Hertz guy heard what was going on and offered me a better car at a slightly higher price. Is this regular Dollar policy?
Old Feb 18, 10, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist ex-Diamond; Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
Not limited to Dollar and common. The fix is to tie your flight number and they will (in theory) hold it till that plane gets there even if late.
Old Feb 18, 10, 11:40 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by jayer View Post
The fix is to tie your flight number and they will (in theory) hold it till that plane gets there even if late.
Even if they still give you crap up front (not all CSRs at all rental agencies have access to the Internet to check flight status or may even know how to), doing so provides you MUCH better insurance should you need to dispute anything with customer care on the back-end (not that you SHOULD need to, but sometimes, stuff happens).
Old Mar 15, 10, 3:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I've had people book a car in Glacier for the time of the evening Amtrak at 6:45pm and then not show up until the next morning or even 2 days later and wonder why their car is not there. In our case, we have a limited number of cars and alot of demand, so why should we have to turn down other people to hold a car when someone does not show up. The rule for us is 60 minutes late and release it. It just takes a call to let us know you are tired and want to arrange it for tomorrow, we know the train was on time and paid someone to stand down there with a sign looking for people who just walk by without saying anything. We know if the train is late. Sorry to vent, but with a limited number of days, a parked car is not paying the bills.
JudyJFLA
Old Nov 12, 12, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Springfield, MO

I had a reservation at the Springfield Airport this weekend.

My reservation was for Friday at 3:00pm; arrived late (due to a flight delay) at 6:00pm. My reservation had been cancelled and the agent was unwilling to work with me - My only option - rent a car for $30/day instead of the $20/day quoted on my reservation.

I called Dollar's 1-800 number and was told I had 6 hours until my reservation would be cancelled. The agent at the Springfield counter explained they were not a dollar location, but a franchise and had different policies.

When I returned the car in Springfield I spoke directly with a guy identifying himself as the manager - he agreed to honor my original rate - Today I discovered a charge on my credit card at the higher rate. What a mess. Would you dispute the charge or give dollar another phone call?
Old Nov 12, 12, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by lemfc View Post
When I returned the car in Springfield I spoke directly with a guy identifying himself as the manager - he agreed to honor my original rate - Today I discovered a charge on my credit card at the higher rate. What a mess. Would you dispute the charge or give dollar another phone call?
Give it a week for any potential credit to work its way through the system. It's possible the manager did a credit after the RA was closed. In that case, the charge would show up first, followed by the credit a few days after (due to the antiquated, non-real-time way in which the credit card systems work).

If no credit appears on your credit card statement within a week, call the location directly to see if the manager did actually adjust the rate as he said he would; if not, you can ask them to fix it at that time, but if they prove difficult, then call corporate and file a complaint, making sure to mention that you called and they specifically informed you that the no-show policy was six hours.

I am familiar with other Dollar locations who hold to a two-hour no-show policy, but they specifically outline it in the reservation terms and conditions.

Edited to add: I see this in the reservation T&C at dollar.com for SGF:

HOLD POLICY

Will honor reservations for 2 hours after original scheduled pick up time unless the location is closed for the day.
But in any case, the corp rep misinformed you, so corp should eat the difference in charges.
Old Nov 12, 12, 1:56 pm

Thanks. I'll wait a few days. I realize all in I'm only arguing for $30 in total ($10 * 3 days) but the attitude of the counter and phone agents. I'm not a believer that the customer is always right - but to not work with the customer at all is annoying.
Old Nov 12, 12, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by lemfc View Post
Thanks. I'll wait a few days. I realize all in I'm only arguing for $30 in total ($10 * 3 days) but the attitude of the counter and phone agents. I'm not a believer that the customer is always right - but to not work with the customer at all is annoying.
Oh, I'd call, too--it's the principle of the matter.

Actually, after thinking about it, it wouldn't hurt to call them anytime (even now) at 417-616-8777 and ask when the credit should be posted. That way, you'll know to expect it, and any delays will be due to credit card system processing delays. There's no real need to wait to see if a credit posts to your account before calling to check if one was issued.

But be sure to call the local office directly at the number above to ask whether the credit was posted. If you call Dollar's national customer care line, they won't have access to the rental data, since SGF is a franchise, and they'll have to contact the location to obtain a copy of your rental paperwork in order to do the investigation, which can take several days at a minimum. When dealing with a franchise, it's better to just call the location directly and reserve calling customer care for when a specific location is being uncooperative.
Old Nov 14, 12, 9:37 am

Resolution. I emailed dollar's customer support through their website - heard back today that I will be receiving a full adjustment ($10/day) and an apology for any confusion. Wonderful response!

Search this Thread