NYC Outer Borough Resident Surcharges

Old Dec 22, 09, 5:57 am
Original Poster

NYC Outer Borough Resident Surcharges

Dollar has the following policy at New York area locations:

Surcharge Information: Higher rental rates for New York City (Brooklyn, Bronx, and Queens)residents may apply as follows:

-For Brooklyn residents the rates will be $55.00 higher per day.

-For Bronx residents the rates will be $53.00 higher per day.

-For Queens residents the rates will be $11.00 higher per day.

If a resident of those outer boroughs rented somewhere else, such as FL, they probably wouldn't be subject to that surcharge, right? Is the surcharge for Brooklyn very high because those drivers are perceived as extra high liability risks? These surcharges essentially say, "we don't want your business." (This doesn't affect me, but I'm curious.)
Old Dec 22, 09, 10:37 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
ISTR it having something to do with perceived liability risks in conjunction with New York law stating that the rental company is vicariously liable for unlimited damages caused by their customers. There may also have been something in the interplay between those laws and how they apply to residents of NYS versus outsiders which added to the risks.

I forget the details, but I do seem to remember reading something about that recently.

Search this Thread