Why do you rent from Dollar?

Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Why do you rent from Dollar?

I know why I do, my company has their corporate rate with them. But if they didn't, I don't think I would rent here.

- Employees are often rude or incompetant or have no individual authority.
- Rental locations are in a state of disrepair (LAX, DTW) or are literally in a trailer (ORD)
- Car selection is weak and limited primarially to base model Dodge/Chrysler vehicles
- Rewards program is not very good and features no elite level
- I've had problems with being billed correctly and three seperate facilities now.

So what's your reasoning?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:11 pm

One word: price.

If I weren't under 25, I might have considered going with Dollar on my Florida roadtrip (MIA to suburban NY). For a subcompact, Alamo was $12/day. Hertz was $4.50/day. Dollar would have been $1/day for a midsize. Airport tax not included, of course. A larger car would have likely cost me big gas money, though. I even met a family driving such a Dollar car to NY at an overnight stop in South Carolina, who confirmed the gas mileage kind of sucks (mid 20s at legal 70 mph). In fact, the terms and conditions said, "It may or may not be a midsize car." Translation: We reserve the right to put you into something even bigger. But all the companies do that. If they don't have the unpopular clown car, they don't have. Fair and square.

Dollar was offering the FL drive out deal for a shorter period of time than the others. Alamo seemed to offer it the longest, plus a free GPS for those straying off the interstate. Like Alamo, the drop point would have been at an airport. However, while for Alamo it would have been HPN, the closest corporate Dollar would have been further, EWR. By contrast, Hertz has a convenient neighborhood branch nearby, so in the long run over the course of a week the price difference with Dollar might have evened out a bit. Even more so if I could have used the $35 off weekly PC instead of the underage PC, which would have cut the total Hertz price in half.

Last year Dollar's underage cutoff was 24. So those 24-year-olds with no corporate promo to remove the underage charge had one place where they could go for nothing extra. They've changed it now, with a new underage charge for 24-year-olds, but it's lower than for 21-23.

Dollar's prices are typically lower for franchise locations, but those tend to be relatively sparse. Again, if you have access to one, you might consider it, especially considering the increasingly higher prices and worse service all the companies seem to be inflicting nowadays.

One-ways over short distances over a relatively longer time might be significantly cheaper than with the other companies. One-ways are only allowed between corporate stores, but if these limited possibilities work for you, the price might be the deciding factor.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:51 pm

I had a 2-day LAS compact rental in 2008 for $34.77 all in for 3000 Best Western hotel points.

Also did the same with Thrifty.

Looking at today's Best Western website, I don't see this promo, or these partners.

That's why I rented from Dollar.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Kohoutek
I had a 2-day LAS compact rental in 2008 for $34.77 all in for 3000 Best Western hotel points.

Also did the same with Thrifty.

Looking at today's Best Western website, I don't see this promo, or these partners.

That's why I rented from Dollar.
Dollar's and Thrifty's partnerships with Best Western were dissolved as of last week. It wasn't the most popular partnership and didn't see a lot of use.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Price, and only price. I am price sensitive. Did I mention price?

For a personal rental, I am not looking for a lot of fluffy options. We know the car that we want and book it. Anything extra is a bonus.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN P+, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond
Price

I agree about rude, incompetant employees especially those on duty last Sunday night 9/7/09 at DAL.

Having said that, next week $80 vs $300+ base rate Sunday - Thursday. That is too much of a savings to ignore even though my customer reimburses for expenses.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:44 pm

Price.
We book cars infrequently; only occasionally due to personal travel. So a reward program doesn't influence me.
We usually just book a cheapass compact to get from point A to B so selection typically isn't important to me.

Can't really justify rude employees but as to incompetant or no individual authority... it's a car rental location. What type of cost model do you think they have to compete for really skilled employees?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
I know why I do, my company has their corporate rate with them. But if they didn't, I don't think I would rent here.

- Employees are often rude or incompetant or have no individual authority.
- Rental locations are in a state of disrepair (LAX, DTW) or are literally in a trailer (ORD)
- Car selection is weak and limited primarially to base model Dodge/Chrysler vehicles
- Rewards program is not very good and features no elite level
- I've had problems with being billed correctly and three seperate facilities now.

So what's your reasoning?
I don't rent from Dollar anymore..too many experiences similar to yours. I was an express member, but not once was my car ready or my name on the board when I got there..not ONCE.
I once waited 60 minutes for a shuttle. When it got there, the driver was at least 85 years old. Nearly missed the plane.

The return line of cars was so full on one trip that it backed out into the street. Why? 1 attendant. On a friday afternoon. 1.5 hour wait to get the car back...then guess what? You guessed right..they tried to charge me for brining it back late.

I had a Hummer H3 fail to start and called them up to tow it away and give me a replacement. No matter how many times I told them I didn't want another Hummer, they still called 2 hours later to tell me they couldn't find a Hummer. Then they brought me another Hummer. The door was keyed, and they tried to pin it on me when I brought it back.

The E470 toll road in Denver eliminated the cash toll booths, but declared that the owner would only be billed for the toll charge, not a violation. That is, if you paid within 30 days. Dollar didn't notify me of the toll charge for 60 days, allowing it to lapse.... then tried to charge 56 dollars for a violation. The toll was 4.25. Fought it, they waived it. Then they sent me a bill for a 25 dollar "admin fee" for waiving the violation! Didn't pay that either.

They advertise low to appear cheaper than competitors, but unlike the competitors, conceal the full range of charges, making them actually as expensive as anyone else.

Bought "Lock Low N Go"...they tried to give me a Dodge Caliber..a compact. Lot was full.

Ever try to get them to credit your shared FF miles?? If you don't follow up, 3 out of 5 times they will not do it.

Crappy cars , shaddy billing, misleading advertising...I do not ever rent from Dollar any more. And I rent at least once a week all over the country.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:27 am

I often rent from Dollar at LAS and have never had an issue. The express service saves a bunch of time and they are MUCH less expensive than Hertz mid-week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.