Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel with a prosthetic leg

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Travel with a prosthetic leg

Going to be flying to St Barths from Philadelphia, in a month, anyone have any suggestions/hints about travel with a prosthetic leg. Connecting flight to St Barths will be on a single engine commuter flight.

Last edited by snuba; Sep 26, 2009 at 4:37 pm
Old Sep 28, 2009, 2:31 pm

You don't say what, if any, mobility devices you normally use, but my rule of thumb is go up at least one when traveling.

Take advantage of wheelchair service and pre-boarding at airports.

Be aware of TSA practices regarding prosthetics: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...al_1370.shtm#0

And have a great time!
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Katja, I love your 'go up one level' advice. Works for me!
Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Katja, I love your 'go up one level' advice. Works for me!
I try to get by with a cane, so I'll travel on the crutches. Was thinking on packing them, but what you say make's it easier!
Old Sep 28, 2009, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Do what ever you have to do to avoid fatigue. You will be a lot happier and healthier in your travels.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
A friend of mine as a prosthetic leg and she reckons it's the best travel accessory ever. The leg and foot are hollow below her stump and she has used it to carry spare cash and credit cards.

She also has great difficulty getting herself shoes that fit her (she has a very small and narrow foot with only 3 toes so has to resort to children's shoes) so I'm going to take a foot off her spare leg and use it to try and buy her some shoes when I next visit Hong Kong.

Audrey
Old Sep 30, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
Originally Posted by falconea
A friend of mine as a prosthetic leg and she reckons it's the best travel accessory ever. The leg and foot are hollow below her stump and she has used it to carry spare cash and credit cards.

She also has great difficulty getting herself shoes that fit her (she has a very small and narrow foot with only 3 toes so has to resort to children's shoes) so I'm going to take a foot off her spare leg and use it to try and buy her some shoes when I next visit Hong Kong.

Audrey
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you're explaining why you have a foot
that isn't yours.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 7:20 pm

Programs: QFF, HH
Hi, I'm a BK that does a lot of domestic travel and international only every two years or so - one thing I thought I'd mention is that when flying on long haul flights I prefer to take my leg off when I sleep but never take off my stump sleeve as this seems to minimise any swelling for when I want to put my leg back on after.

The other thing is that if you feel your energy lagging it's a good idea to let the cabin crew know when you board, as they'll generally ask before landing then if you want to have a buggy or chair for assistance when you get off.

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 11, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
And one final bit of advice for the OP from my friend: carry your stump socks in your carry-on. They're all but impossible to replace and you can't risk losing them.

Audrey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.