Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA precheck

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:11 am
Original Poster

TSA precheck

Anyone use this here? Is it worth it for someone like me with a disability? I am very slow going through this line and hate that, plus I have to ask for assistance. I travel about 4 times a year.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: None - fairly infrequent flier
I only travel twice a year.....always between Indianapolis and Las Vegas. Since I now have to have wheelchair assistance from drop-off to the departure gate, I get the benefit of an "expedited" line through Security without Pre-Check. I've thought about Pre-Check, but don't think I'd get anything else that I am not already getting (i.e., not having to stand in line for a long time....which is no longer possible for me).

If I still had to stand in a Security line and Pre-Check would help me avoid that.....I would sign up in a minute, even with only 1-2 trips a year!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Originally Posted by hinsopa
Anyone use this here? Is it worth it for someone like me with a disability? I am very slow going through this line and hate that, plus I have to ask for assistance. I travel about 4 times a year.
The simple answer is "it all depends." How much do you travel, which airports do you use the most, do you travel with a lot of time to carry on the junk/stuff, and travel internationally? As a wheelchair user that travels with a lot of junk and primarily internationally I absolutely could not live without it (together with Global Entry). Mainly because it saves me the extended pat down and questioning about everything in my bag for items such as medical supplies that might include liquid.

Is worth it or not FOR YOU to spend the money and go through the interview--just something you need to think about traveling only four times per year. Only you can answer that question. Also keep in mind that most travelers in the Pre check line are frequent enough flyers they are very good about keeping the line moving. If you are traveling with a companion (or airport assistant) that is not familiar with getting everything out and put it in the bins for the x-ray vision will take to slow the line down. But don't worry about that, that is certainly not your problem!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

How does the wheelchair from drop off to gate work?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Not sure what all the buttons on the post mean. Hope I didn't do something wrong. Where do I find that info?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:42 am

HINSOPA:

I have multiple sclerosis that has progressed to the point that I have trouble standing in line for long and also walking the distance from the front of the airport to my departure gate.

I have to tell an attendant when I arrive at the airport that I require wheelchair assistance and someone arrives shortly with a wheelchair. Once, a wheelchair pusher very kindly told me that wheelchairs go through the "princess line," but I call it the "crippled %itch" line!

I still have to take out my liquids, take off my jacket/shoes and walk through the screening device, but I don't have to stand in a long security line. Once through security, the wheelchair pusher takes me on to my departure gate and drops me off. I do tip for this service, but that is up to the individual.

At my arrival airport....someone is waiting with a wheelchair and will take me to the baggage claim area, where I pick up my airport transportation. I wish I was still able to stand in line and walk to the gate, but a wheelchair is now the only way I can negotiate the airport.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:00 am

Forgot to mention: you need to be sure and ask that a wheelchair be waiting for you upon arrival before you depart from your originating airport. The people at the Gate desk can enter that information in their computer and it will notify the arriving airport to have someone there to assist you with a wheelchair.

I usually enter the "requires wheelchair assistance" when I make my flight reservation.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Canary54,
Thank you so much. This information was very helpful. This is probably a dumb question, but here goes. So, it is always necessary to check your bag, right? (Unless it is small enough to hold).
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: United MP
How does the wheelchair from drop off to gate work?
Isn't that a separate question from the pre-check question?

Regardless, when you get wheelchair service, after Checking in, the pusher will take you through security to your gate. They skip the line with wheelchair pax. Since I do not walk or stand, I get the pat down, swab my shoes treatment. My carry on bag goes through the X-ray machine while they are doing that. Afterwards they push me to my gate. At the gate I sit in the wheelchair until boarding. At that point, some guys come to help me transfer to an aisle chair and board me. The wheelchair is left there to be collected by whoever does that. In my case, I use my own wheelchair, so at the gate I get a gate-check tag on it. It is then either loaded in the space onboard or carried down to be put with baggage. On arrival the assistance people come with an aisle chair. When we come through the aircraft door, my wheelchair is usually waiting for me right there. I get pushed to baggage claim and from there whoever I'm meeting takes over getting me to the car. Does this answer the question?

By the way, all that is without signing up for pre-check.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Yes, your response was very helpful. My issues with this seem to "reach across posts" since my singular reason for considering precheck is that I cannot stand for long and am tired of others inpatient behind me when I am putting my stuff on the scanner ( I can only use 1 arm). To complicate things, I can only use baggage that roll, due to lifting, so I was asking the dumb question above about using WC and a rolled bag.
Given that, do you suggest separate posts would be more appropriate? I was a poster here years ago and never had this issue, but, I'm confused now. I have read the info on posting.

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Isn't that a separate question from the pre-check question?

Regardless, when you get wheelchair service, after Checking in, the pusher will take you through security to your gate. They skip the line with wheelchair pax. Since I do not walk or stand, I get the pat down, swab my shoes treatment. My carry on bag goes through the X-ray machine while they are doing that. Afterwards they push me to my gate. At the gate I sit in the wheelchair until boarding. At that point, some guys come to help me transfer to an aisle chair and board me. The wheelchair is left there to be collected by whoever does that. In my case, I use my own wheelchair, so at the gate I get a gate-check tag on it. It is then either loaded in the space onboard or carried down to be put with baggage. On arrival the assistance people come with an aisle chair. When we come through the aircraft door, my wheelchair is usually waiting for me right there. I get pushed to baggage claim and from there whoever I'm meeting takes over getting me to the car. Does this answer the question?

By the way, all that is without signing up for pre-check.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:16 am

hinsopa:

I only travel with a checked bag. I like to think I don't look "that bad" but while I can still walk through the scanner, I'm a little unsteady on my feet. The people who push the wheelchair will help you as much as you need. I've experienced that they put your carry-on bag on the screening belt for you, they get a bin for your liquids bag, purse/belt/shoes/whatever and place that bin on the scanner belt also. Once your belongings and you both go through the scanners, they retrieve your bag and bin and bring to you so you can sit in the wheelchair and put yourself back together. Even though I've only used airport provided wheelchairs, TSA staff always thoroughly inspect the wheelchair while I am going through the scanner.

Sometimes I'm through the process so quickly, I'm scrambling trying to gather up all my stuff and get it put back in the right place before we leave the Security area. If you need boarding assistance, someone (usually a Gate Agent) will wheel you down the jetway, right to the aircraft door.

I've not travelled internationally since I've needed wheelchair assistance, but this is what I've experienced in the US. I am so grateful this service is available so I can continue to travel..........which is why I tip. It sounds like wheelchair assistance might meet your needs without needing to sign up for a special program. Best of luck to you!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: United MP
Yes, your response was very helpful. My issues with this seem to "reach across posts" since my singular reason for considering precheck is that I cannot stand for long and am tired of others inpatient behind me when I am putting my stuff on the scanner ( I can only use 1 arm). To complicate things, I can only use baggage that roll, due to lifting, so I was asking the dumb question above about using WC and a rolled bag.
Given that, do you suggest separate posts would be more appropriate? I was a poster here years ago and never had this issue, but, I'm confused now. I have read the info on posting.
If the issue has nothing to do with the original topic, it should be a separate thread. If it is related then it's fine here. I just made the comment because I wasn't sure if it was related. That's up to you if it is related or not.

Another thing. The question was not dumb. Many of us had to learn just like you are now. I'm very happy to help, if I can. Ask us anything. We're here to help.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Another thing that will be more and more helpful at US Ports of Entry is MCP - Mobile Passport Control. Essentially, you download an (iOS or Android) app on your mobile and fill out information. When you arrive at immigration and customs, you're through quickly - faster than Global Entry in many cases. See https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...ssport-control

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.