Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Flying after quadruple bypass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains

I have a friend who recently had a quadruple bypass up in MA and hopes to get back to the warm climes of FL as soon as possible.........

Is cabin pressurization/altitude the concern here? The seat???? He would have to go commercial as not about to shell out for a netjet in today's economy.....
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:36 pm

turf this one to the doctor

The only right person to answer these questions is your friend's surgeon, not an internet board. (experts tho we may all be )

There are non-flying options for your friend on the MA-FL route, such as Amtrak, which might offer fewer risks.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Having gone through this in May, I can tell you that there are several reasons -- depending on how long it has been since the operation (and assuming that no problem has been discovered).

1. For the first two weeks, it is absolutely forbidden to even get into a car and drive too far away from where the operation was performed. This is to ensure that in case of a problem you can get back to the cardioloist and surgeon who are most familiar with your case.

2. From 2 weeks to 3 months, there is concern about stress, both physical and mental. Until you go through this, you don't realize how much is involved in taking a flight -- including making certain you arrive on time, dragging around your luggage, going through the Security line, etc. I never realized this in the past, but as I just took my first flight since the operation, I do now.

In addition, if you need travel insurance, you will not be covered unless your cardiologist gives you a certificate stating that you have completely recovered and are able to resume all activities, including flying. No cardiologist will do this until three months have passed.

3. After three months, the concern is about your lack of movement during flights. For shorter trips (under 3-4 hours) you are only advised to walk around the plane every so often. For longer ones, you are given blood-thinning medication which you have to inject into yourself two hours before takeoff. (I walked into the Men's Room in TLV to do that and got some very strange looks from people who presumed I was shooting up.)
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:02 pm
Community Director Emerita

dede, what about the train? I'm not familiar with the east coast routes, but I do know there is some service north and south.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:23 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Amtrak routing North/south is pretty good. ie. Bos-NYP-ORL is a 26 hourish trip with businesss seating and/or roommettes and/or bedrooms available. Getting up to walk around is quite easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.