Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Wheelchair assistance - who qualifies and some questions

Wheelchair assistance - who qualifies and some questions

Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Linda Myers
Anyone know if this is true at LAX? Having issues with my leg and my trip is in 3 weeks.

My problem here is I'm a newbie when it come's to travel. I booked a flight overseas in 3 tickets. So I will be having to recheck luggage and pass through security/Customs on way out and way back.

I had enough time with my layover to do everything and make it to connecting flight. Now with my leg I'm worried about how fast I can really do that. But if I go with a wheelchair assist I lose time waiting to get off plane last and possibly other waiting time if they aren't promptly at gate. Washes out I think. But cutting security line would make wheelchair assist the better option.

So my question is does anyone know if you cut to the front of the security/Customs line at LAX international terminal? I don't wanna be that young guy cutting the line but unfortunately my nonrefundable ticket don't give me a choice.

Appreciate any help!
3 tickets, yikes!! I hope you booked long connections! IIRC it was LAX where my wife was in a chair due to an injury, she did bypass the security line. That was a few years ago, though. If you're in an airport chair I think that's pretty common--they don't want their pushers waiting through the security lines. However, we did have a problem with them--the chair was assigned to the pusher which would have left her without a chair for 5 hours during our connection. (Bad luck with seat availability, we didn't want it to be that long.) Took quite a bit of yapping and refusing to get out of the chair until they provided a replacement to get some sanity out of them. (And there were no family restrooms, either--meant I had to wheel her into the men's room.)
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: United MP
First, if an airport pusher is pushing you, they will take you to the front of the line. If you're doing it yourself, someone will probably direct you to the front.

Second, if you are using an airport chair, whether they take it for a while, or leave it with you, depends on whether you are able to get up out of the chair or not. Since, I can't, the chair stays with me. If you need it to, for example, get to the restroom during the time waiting for next fight, then you could sit your ground and keep it with you until boarding.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
In case future readers search for this scenario...

A former coworker, who is now widowed and in her 70s, was able to have wheelchair service requested at booking for a non-physical reason. I suppose I'd call it anxiety? Is it okay to call it a mental disability?

Her husband of 40+ years always took care of things inside and outside of home and she never needed/wanted to learn how to do things on her own. Her daughter lives in another state and my friend now goes out to Texas for a month-long stay every year. If she had to do any part of the travel process alone - of getting to the airport, checking-in, going through security, finding the gate/connecting gate, finding the airport exit, etc - she just plain wouldn't leave home. Actually, I remember now, her neighbor was allowed to accompany her and the wheelchair attendant through security and airside at SJC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.