Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

question on perceptions of a service animal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

[note: this question is strictly about animals trained and qualified as service animals under ADA guidelines, not about traveling with a pet]

Would you expect someone traveling with a service animal to have the animal with them 24/7?

I'm asking this for a friend who has a service cat which helps her at night with sleep apnea and panic attacks. The cat has learned to bat at her face when she develops the apnea at night to awaken her - she finds the cat's assistance more helpful and less intrusive than CPAP, which she formerly used. The cat also helps her cope with nighttime panic attacks.

As neither the apnea or panic attacks occur during the day, she doesn't take the cat everywhere she goes. Because of that, she was recently hassled by a hotel manager who insisted that you couldn't have a "part-time service animal" and made her pay a pet fee for having the cat with her in a hotel. [service animals are exempt from pet fees]

Would you expect someone who needs a service animal at night to take it with them everywhere they go? How would you answer someone who says there can't be a "part-time service animal?"
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't bother to try and explain the night time panic attacks and just stick to sleep apnea. Without looking anything up and sticking to my uninformed impression of this condition (gleaned from TV) sleep apnea is potentially fatal.

Before arriving to anywhere it might be best to have the hotel confirm in writing first that they accept the role your friend's cat has in safeguarding her wellbeing and acknowledge it as a service pet. It must be very difficult to educate a Hotel Manager in person on a rather obscure role for a trained animal without sounding like someone trying to avoid a fee with some creative BS - this situation is best avoided if you're naturally anxious anyway.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
[note: this question is strictly about animals trained and qualified as service animals under ADA guidelines, not about traveling with a pet]

Would you expect someone traveling with a service animal to have the animal with them 24/7?

I'm asking this for a friend who has a service cat which helps her at night with sleep apnea and panic attacks. The cat has learned to bat at her face when she develops the apnea at night to awaken her - she finds the cat's assistance more helpful and less intrusive than CPAP, which she formerly used. The cat also helps her cope with nighttime panic attacks.

As neither the apnea or panic attacks occur during the day, she doesn't take the cat everywhere she goes. Because of that, she was recently hassled by a hotel manager who insisted that you couldn't have a "part-time service animal" and made her pay a pet fee for having the cat with her in a hotel. [service animals are exempt from pet fees]

Would you expect someone who needs a service animal at night to take it with them everywhere they go? How would you answer someone who says there can't be a "part-time service animal?"
Originally Posted by LapLap
I wouldn't bother to try and explain the night time panic attacks and just stick to sleep apnea. Without looking anything up and sticking to my uninformed impression of this condition (gleaned from TV) sleep apnea is potentially fatal.

Before arriving to anywhere it might be best to have the hotel confirm in writing first that they accept the role your friend's cat has in safeguarding her well being and acknowledge it as a service pet. It must be very difficult to educate a Hotel Manager in person on a rather obscure role for a trained animal without sounding like someone trying to avoid a fee with some creative BS - this situation is best avoided if you're naturally anxious anyway.
Cat may make your friend feel emotionally secure, and hence help in panic attacks, but a cat can in no way help improve health of a person suffering from sleep apnoea. Sleep apnoea can lead to hypertension, heart disease, stroke and weight gain. So, it needs to be treated and managed. It's no more fatal than eating junk food.
What does the cat do? Wake her up? But that's what person with sleep apnoea does automatically....wake themselves up repeatedly during the night, as often as 100 times an hour. They are chronically deprived of sleep and oxygen. Apnoea is managed by keeping your airway open. A cat cannot do it. That cat would have to bat me twice a minute.

My understanding of panic attacks is far from complete. It's a complex mental disorder and is accompanied by other disorders such as depression, agorophobia. I think the definition of panic attacks has been expanded to include all sorts of generalised anxiety disorders. I saw a friend of mine have a panic attack a quarter if a century ago. I thought he was dying. I rushed him to an emergency room. It turned out he had a panic attack. He had no associated mental disorder. I have met others who have a whole bunch of phobia and illnesses. A cat may provide them enough emotional support to get over a hump. I don't know if they are officially recognised as service animal for panic attack. It might be best for her, as LapLap suggested, to conform with the hotel whether they would allow her service animal.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Cat may make your friend feel emotionally secure, and hence help in panic attacks, but a cat can in no way help improve health of a person suffering from sleep apnoea. Sleep apnoea can lead to hypertension, heart disease, stroke and weight gain. So, it needs to be treated and managed. It's no more fatal than eating junk food.
What does the cat do? Wake her up? But that's what person with sleep apnoea does automatically....wake themselves up repeatedly during the night, as often as 100 times an hour. They are chronically deprived of sleep and oxygen. Apnoea is managed by keeping your airway open. A cat cannot do it. That cat would have to bat me twice a minute.
I believe you are confusing obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea, which is what my friend suffers from. She has pauses in her breathing during sleep during which she does not waken, and being awoken by the cat stimulates her to resume breathing. This is a very different condition than obstructive sleep apnea. She suffered a head trauma a few years ago, and there is a possibility both the central sleep apnea and panic attacks are related to it.

For more on central sleep apnea: https://health.google.com/health/ref...al+sleep+apnea

If you google "sleep apnea" + "service animal" you will find a number of articles about the role of animals in helping apnea sufferers. My favorite one is an iguana: http://www.fhco.org/pdfs/articles/Co...viceAnimal.pdf

Here is another link to a sleep apnea service cat story:
http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/rareca...orlowbloo-1213

But my friend, who is definitely the timid type, is still wondering if she has to take her cat with her everywhere she goes for him to recognized as a service cat?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:13 am
Suspended

I believe you are confusing obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea, which is what my friend suffers from. She has pauses in her breathing during sleep during which she does not waken, and being awoken by the cat stimulates her to resume breathing. This is a very different condition than obstructive sleep apnea. She suffered a head trauma a few years ago, and there is a possibility both the central sleep apnea and panic attacks are related to it.

For more on central sleep apnea: https://health.google.com/health/ref...al+sleep+apnea

If you google "sleep apnea" + "service animal" you will find a number of articles about the role of animals in helping apnea sufferers. My favorite one is an iguana: http://www.fhco.org/pdfs/articles/Co...viceAnimal.pdf

Here is another link to a sleep apnea service cat story:
http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/rareca...orlowbloo-1213

But my friend, who is definitely the timid type, is still wondering if she has to take her cat with her everywhere she goes for him to recognized as a service cat?
It's perilous to assume that you you know and others don't. I am very well aware of what central apnoea is. I have read your stories, but they are nothing more than anecdotes. I have all three trypes of apnoea. If you are woken up every few minutes, you are not really gaining much. You will still be chronically sleep deprived.

There are very sophisticated CPAP devices available that work for central apnoea too. If the machine doesn't sense an attempt to breath on the part of the patient (central apnoea) it forces you to breath.

I do think that for some people, an animal plays an important role in giving emotional strength. Unless a systematic study has been done, it's not wise to presume that an animal would always respond in the same way to the same stimulus, especially something as subtle as breathing pattern or blood sugar levels.

Medicine is a complex field. I understand that sometimes healing is a combination of science and faith. But we have sen faith healing fail and in acute situations only science and technology, if at all, can save your life.
My personal opinion is that in modes of public transport, where different members of the society will have conflicting requirements, such as need of an animal versus animal allergies, need for nutrition and allergies to peanuts. I like milk in tea and coffee. What if someone turned up with such a severe allergy to milk, even to milk vapours, which is what people claim for peanuts. Only those service animals should be allowed that directly address the disability, and perform a role that another human being would have performed, such as seeing dog. If we all want to turn common carriers into one tending to our own personal needs, however unconventional they maybe, we will see such bizarre demands that the system will come to a grinding halt.
The best treatment for central apnoea is to cure the underlying causes and use a an adaptive CPAP. We can't expect the sun to not rise because we have migraines.

That said, I don't think she has to take her cat everywhere in order to claim that it's a service animal. A letter from her physician should suffice. She should seriously consider using an adaptive CPAP. Some drugs help with central apnoea too. It's unwise to rely on an animal when the technology exists. Seeing dogs are used because, the technology is still not mature to make a blind person see. How can she be sure that the cat is around when your friend stops breathing. Cats do wander off. Will a cat overcome it's urges to respond to your friend's apnoea?

Last edited by Yaatri; Jun 5, 2010 at 8:25 am
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
I have suffered with central sleep apnea for ten years, and I have engaged in lots of research on this topic. I pay almost no attention to anecdotal "cures" because they lack scientific credibility.

Your friend risks her health when she relies on a cat to address her sleep apnea needs. She needs a constant supply of air. She likely achieves a degree of wakefulness every time she stops breathing so I do not understand what the cat does to assist her. The only way she can get deep sleep is by receiving a constant supply of air. She really needs to use a CPap machine in spite of the fact that she finds her cat more comforting than the uncomfortable and often obnoxious machine.

As for the use of a cat for panic attacks, does your friend only have panic attacks at night in her hotel? My panic attacks occur exclusively when I am in strange, busy and crowded locations. If I used my cat to treat my panic attacks I would need to take the cat with me everywhere I went. I find it easier to use bio-feedback techniques and, on rare occasions, prescription medication. I cannot imagine taking my cat with me to treat my panic attacks.

Having said all of this, I still do not believe your friend should be charged a "pet" charge for an animal she perceives as a service animal. She should simply clarify this with the hotel before she makes reservations. A letter from her physician might help her make a stronger case for the cat.

For her own welfare, however, she needs constant air and not a cat to maintain stable sleep.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

While I appreciate the concern of those who have responded to this thread, I must say that my friend's choice of treatment for her sleep apnea is her decision, made in conjunction with her physician, not my decision. My question was strictly about perceptions of service animals, not a request for medical advice. After her last hotel experience, she's worried about traveling again and I'm just trying to help her with the issue of the cat in hotels.

flyingfran I can answer your question about when the panic attacks occur. She has them only at night; she can't deal with very dark rooms. Crowds don't bother her. She's tried using a variety of night lights, but has trouble getting a light level where she can sleep but not panic if she wakes up in the night. She's had them at home, in hotels and in the homes of friends, so they aren't specific to one place. The cat routinely sleeps on her pillow, and has always been right there for her since she got it.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:37 am
Suspended

While I appreciate the concern of those who have responded to this thread, I must say that my friend's choice of treatment for her sleep apnea is her decision, made in conjunction with her physician, not my decision. My question was strictly about perceptions of service animals, not a request for medical advice. After her last hotel experience, she's worried about traveling again and I'm just trying to help her with the issue of the cat in hotels.
I am sorry you felt that anyone or I was giving you/your friend medical advice. I can speak for myself that I was and am expressing an opinion, as I very well know I am not a medical professional. After our responses are driven b y same motivations as your question, viz, your friend's well being.

If her physician thinks that her sleep apnoea can be addressed adequately by a cat, I would think, either her sleep apnoea is very mild to be any serious threat, or I would be very very leery of such medical advice. As to your question about her cat being accepted as a service animal, it has already been answered. A note from, her physician would suffice. And in order to reduce her stress level and the need to confront hotel staff, clarifying with the hotel directly as what documentation they would need to allow a service animal.
I fail to see how travelling everywhere with her cat would prove to a hotel that the cat is a service animal. It's not like the hotel had or would follow her around in her travels. If her physician says it's a service animal, then it's a service animal. There are no grounds for the hotel to question that.

I can answer your question about when the panic attacks occur. She has them only at night; she can't deal with very dark rooms. Crowds don't bother her. She's tried using a variety of night lights, but has trouble getting a light level where she can sleep but not panic if she wakes up in the night. She's had them at home, in hotels and in the homes of friends, so they aren't specific to one place. The cat routinely sleeps on her pillow, and has always been right there for her since she got it.
So either it's too light for her to go back to sleep or too dark for her to not have a panic attack. That's a tough one. It seems to me that she is just too afraid, that if she awakes, she might not be able to go to sleep for one or the other reason. Maybe diversion from the light issue could help a little. Has she tried other therapies such as drugs, CBT, breathing techniques to calm her down?
I have met some people who hve found panic attacks t be very debilitating, and some have found a way to cope with it. I can see that a cat can be comforting in such a situation. But It's not a long term solution, nor a reliable one. The cat would die some day.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:44 pm

I was reading about this just the other day. A man claimed to have a service animal because his dog reacted to a malady the man had. The dog was not trained to do so, he was not wearing any sort of vest/collar/harness that identified him as a service animal, and for all appearances he looked like a pet. The man refused to leave an eatery when asked to do so, the police were called, he was arrested, and there were charges and if I remember correctly, a countersuit. The court found that the dog was NOT a service animal because part of the legal definition (by the US Dept of Justice) of a service animal is that it has been TRAINED to perform a task. Otherwise the animal is a pet. A very useful pet, but a pet nonetheless.

You will find that airlines in particular will allow service animals with verification. For some airlines, this includes a letter from a licensed mental health professional far enough in advance (usually at least two business days) so that the doctor can be contacted for verification.

Your friend would do well in the future to contact the hotel manager in advance to discuss the situation.

Edited to add: A proprietor can ask you what the animal has been trained to do, but not what your disability is. Depending on the answer, your disability may be revealed anyway.

Cali

Last edited by CaliC; Jun 7, 2010 at 9:49 pm Reason: add info
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:13 pm

The OP is not asking for opinions on whether a service animal is the best modality for managing the friend's disabilities; the question is whether there are any requirements in US law that will force the friend to have the animal with her at all times in order to be recognized as a service animal.

I'm not familiar with the law in this area, but exactly how is the hotel manager supposed to know if your friend has her cat with her at all times? And what business is it of the hotel's? Answer: None of their business.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Katja
The OP is not asking for opinions on whether a service animal is the best modality for managing the friend's disabilities; the question is whether there are any requirements in US law that will force the friend to have the animal with her at all times in order to be recognized as a service animal.
Thank you for grasping so clearly what I meant.

I'm not familiar with the law in this area, but exactly how is the hotel manager supposed to know if your friend has her cat with her at all times? And what business is it of the hotel's? Answer: None of their business.
The cat was left in the hotel room during the day (he doesn't care for conferences ), as his "job" is at night. Apparently the hotel maid complained to the manager that there was a "pet" in one of her rooms to clean and that info wasn't on her list. From this the manager decided the cat qualified as a pet and not a service animal.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:27 pm

I am not a disability lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. With that caveat, here is some (excerpted) information from the Department of Justice about service animals:

What is a service animal?

The ADA defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government.

How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?

Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability.
Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.

I have always had a clearly posted "no pets" policy at my establishment. Do I still have to allow service animals in?

Yes. A service animal is not a pet. The ADA requires you to modify your "no pets" policy to allow the use of a service animal by a person with a disability. This does not mean you must abandon your "no pets" policy altogether but simply that you must make an exception to your general rule for service animals.

Can I charge a maintenance or cleaning fee for customers who bring service animals into my business?

No. Neither a deposit nor a surcharge may be imposed on an individual with a disability as a condition to allowing a service animal to accompany the individual with a disability, even if deposits are routinely required for pets. However, a public accommodation may charge its customers with disabilities if a service animal causes damage so long as it is the regular practice of the entity to charge non-disabled customers for the same types of damages.
Full FAQ: http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm
Some other resources:
http://www.deltasociety.org/Document.Doc?id=346
http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm

Additionally, my understanding from friends who have service animals is that business owners may ask if an animal is a service animal, but not what the owner's disability is.

I hope this helps. My policy as a person with a disability is that I decide what accommodations to request, and I don't need to justify or explain my request. It's futile and frustrating to expect business owners, employees, and general members of the public to understand anything about my particular condition or needs - that's my job, and my business.

So assuming that your friend feels that her cat meets the definition of a service animal, then she should just state that it is, and repeat as often as necessary (calmly and politely, if possible), without elaboration.

Last edited by Katja; Jun 9, 2010 at 8:36 pm
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

I am not a disability lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. With that caveat, here is some (excerpted) information from the Department of Justice about service animals:

Full FAQ: http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm
Some other resources:
http://www.deltasociety.org/Document.Doc?id=346
http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm

I hope this helps. My policy as a person with a disability is that I decide what accommodations to request, and I don't need to justify or explain my request. It's futile and frustrating to expect business owners, employees, and general members of the public to understand anything about my particular condition or needs - that's my job, and my business.
Thanks Katja for the info. My friend has printed out the ADA page and is going to send it to the hotel chain headquarters with a demand for a refund of the pet fee she was charged - a very bold move for her.

The cat actually did have training, as I just recently learned. It began doing the paw pat awakening on its own, and when she realized what the cat was doing, her sleep disorder doctor recommended an animal behavioral specialist who then worked with the cat for a while. But, being a cat, it has no desire to wear a vest or ID tag.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: Too many to name
RE: Perceptions

Thanks Katja for the info. My friend has printed out the ADA page and is going to send it to the hotel chain headquarters with a demand for a refund of the pet fee she was charged - a very bold move for her.

The cat actually did have training, as I just recently learned. It began doing the paw pat awakening on its own, and when she realized what the cat was doing, her sleep disorder doctor recommended an animal behavioral specialist who then worked with the cat for a while. But, being a cat, it has no desire to wear a vest or ID tag.
Oh pleeeeeease!! The original question pertained to the use of a CAT for sleep apnea and panic attacks. The writer said the woman used to use a CPAP, but now uses the cat, who was taken to an Animal Behavourist to learn how to slap a person awake from an apnea episode! What will they think of next? Sydny1
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydnyg
Oh pleeeeeease!! The original question pertained to the use of a CAT for sleep apnea and panic attacks. The writer said the woman used to use a CPAP, but now uses the cat, who was taken to an Animal Behavourist to learn how to slap a person awake from an apnea episode! What will they think of next? Sydny1
Wow, if this was your second post on FT, what was your first?

Perhaps you should try doing a bit of research on service animals as you might learn something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.