Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Sky magazine - Helping people with disabilities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite

I flew from ORF to CVG today, the AC had a broken lav. I have been on 3 such flights with Delta and all three times have been informed of the lav. problem after 10000 feet.

Well, just suppose I was a type 1 diabetic and tend to use the lav quite often. Does this really qualify for assisting someone with a disability?

I was curious what the COC mentions about standard facilities but when I asked customer service and a gate agent, no one knew what a COC was.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by Akulashark
I was curious what the COC mentions about standard facilities ...
Depends?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I grew up in ORF and visit often. I think ORF-CVG is either a CRJ or ERJ so there is only one lavatory on the plane. I would think the FAA has some kind of requirement regarding lavs. I would thikn DL Connection would prefer getting the plane back to CVG and have the resources to fix the lav there instead of an outstation.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Actually I did find something in the COC about if you are in a ground delay of 2 hours or more they will allow you to use the lav. I guess if we had a ground delay they would have cared, there are no regs about services you will get in the air in the COC.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Actually I did find something in the COC about if you are in a ground delay of 2 hours or more they will allow you to use the lav. I guess if we had a ground delay they would have cared, there are no regs about services you will get in the air in the COC.
Isn't ORF-CVG scheduled for just under 2 hours?
Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

It is.

So, I sent a complaint into Delta and they sent me $100 e-credit or some such. I bet I can never find a reason to use it.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
That's baaad. Short flight but, imagine coming down with food poisoning.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

It is.

So, I sent a complaint into Delta and they sent me $100 e-credit or some such. I bet I can never find a reason to use it.
For a broken lav?? Wow. I'm gonna be checking each one from now on!
Old Mar 14, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
No one can actually say what qualifies as a disability so anything goes. It's a big no no to say a person doesn't have one if they say they do in this industry and not "assist" that person in "their" disability. This is where the DOT steps in which formed the creation of 14 CFR part 382. Any gate agent or ticket agent should be able to pull that information up if the pax requests it no questions asked.....that is madated by the DOT.
So if the question above arised they would have to accomadate you on the next flight available (which the lav worked of course) if you wanted to. I hope I answered your question.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
But in OP's three instances, the pax were not informed till the flight was well under way.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
They would have a case with the DOT against Delta.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Disability Travel Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old May 12, 2008, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Originally Posted by DLFan2
Depends?
terrible pun....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.