Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

A few questions about US flights for an Obese passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M

Hi Flyertalker's,

Due to my size I have flown less and less in the last years. To not negatively impact my fellow passengers I always purchase a second seat. With flying mostly short haul comfort or other things are not much of concern.

However in April I plan a trip to the US and I have a few questions for the flights within the US. I would love to get feedback from you guys as I feel I can trust you more than the default replies of some of the airlines. I have searched on the forums but not found exactly what I needed.

I am looking to fly on 04/06/11 with American Airlines MIA - LAS flight 1825 or 2530. Aircraft type is listed as 738.
On 04/11/11 the flight would be with Southwest LAS - MSY flight 3594 can not see Aircraft used.

To actually use two seats it is necessary to lift the arm rest. While AA says this is possible its not clear "how far". On some flights in my past this ended up with an arm rest that "stuck out" the size of a fist at least making the flight rather uncomfortable. Can you tell me from your experience if the arm rests fully recline?

The other question is on these flights is there likely a "larger" bath room and / or what is the width of the door opening. (Man do I feel bad for asking that).

I thought of maybe flying MIA - LAS in First class. Are these flights equipped with the "new" chairs? Does anyone know exact measurements of width of the seat. On seatinguru it says 21" compared to 19.x, not really much bigger is it..

Thank you very much for your time,
Kosmonaut
Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:58 pm
KCK

Southwest flies B-737s.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: United MP
I wish I could answer most of this, but on nearly every plane I have been on, the armrest sticks out when you put it up.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:45 pm

I would agree with DeafFlyer in that fold up armrests always seem to stick out to some degree. However, I have seen arm rests that lift out and away, which likely would be more comfortable for you.

Don't ask me plane types; I'm the type that notices two wings and a couple engines and calls it a plane . I believe where I saw the lift-out arm was probably a bulk head seat, but may have been the second row on a plane where the second row was designated for handicapped pax and the lift out was so that wheelchair users could slide across the seat. (some seat charts show that, some don't).

Perhaps your best bet would be the contact the airlines by phone and persist until you get something like the disabilities assistance desk (I think that's what DL calls it) and ask exactly what types of seating each flight has.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
The most reliable answer would be to speak with someone from the airline....American and Southwest. That will work find with Southwest as all of their equipment is the same, but with American there is always a chance that they could substitute the assigned plane for another so there are no firm guarantees.

I also believe that most planes on which I have flown do not have an armrest that is flush with the seat. Most seem to project out a bit, making the use of both seats exceedingly difficult and uncomfortable. I would take a pillow and try to adjust it so you are not poked in the back for 3000 miles.

There is no first class available on Southwest so you pretty much will have to cope with whatever they have.

I would, however, watch the American website closely. As the time for your departure grows nearer there is some chance that they may offer first class seats for a modest price. I know that the seat measurements do not seem much different, but you will be so much more comfortable in First than you will with two seats in coach.

Unfortunately I have never been on a plane that had a bathroom larger than those we generally see. I have never understood this because if you are completely wheelchair bound I am not quite sure how you make a wheelchair to bathroom transfer in the tiny space provided. I guess somehow they manage to do it.

When you board your American flight be sure to ask the flight attendant for a seat belt extender, and you will need to get one on the Southwest flight as well.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyingfran
Unfortunately I have never been on a plane that had a bathroom larger than those we generally see. I have never understood this because if you are completely wheelchair bound I am not quite sure how you make a wheelchair to bathroom transfer in the tiny space provided. I guess somehow they manage to do it.
Most newer (since 19?? - I forgot when - maybe 1995) widebody aircraft are required to have accessible lavs. I've never seen one though since I just wait until we arrive. Transferring is too much of a hassle for me.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen accessible lavs on the DL 777LRs (BE, behind seat 7D) and on the SQ 747s (lower deck business class, back lavatory of the left hand side). However, IIRC the SQ version did not have a larger or different door. I think DL also has an accessible BE lav in the front of its 777ER aircraft, but I might be remembering incorrectly.

Even if one isn't disabled, these lavs are very convenient for changing clothes.

I would assume that these aircraft also have accessible lavs available for coach passengers, although SQ somewhat surprisingly doesn't seem to have an accessible lav for its FC passengers.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 9, 2011 at 10:04 am Reason: added last paragraph
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:19 pm

Since nobody else has brought up the bathroom situation, here's my take on the lavs in a 737. I shall be frank and blunt.

In the rear of the plane, there will be either two or three lavs. None are that spacious; in the 3-lav configuration the doors are all the fold-in-half ones. The 2-lav configurations aren't that much wider, if at all. If you need to purchase two seats (I am also a person of size, but I don't need two seats), getting in the doors may be marginal. The two-lav config, even for thin people, necessitates moving into and out of the galley to get by. You may not be able to do that. The crew can demand you take your seat if they feel you are blocking the aisle.

What will be nearly impossible, if you can get into the lav at all, is the use of the toilet itself. Standing, if possible, will take care of urination, but there is no way you will be able to do anything else than urination requiring being seated (or, even, using toilet paper afterwards). IF you can get down onto the seat. Lavs are not the size they used to be!

One knee will be squashed into the wall, and the other into the sink wall. Your thighs will be wedged together in front of you with no room in between at all. If you are of any size at all it will be impossible to get at your behind without some serious contortions (which you may or may not have room for.) Don't eat anything before your trip you already know will cause gas or diarrhea problems!

Southwest has one class of service, which precludes using a first-class lav. Most domestic airlines with separate classes of service let disabled pax use the first lavs due to more space. This is not an option in your case.

As much as I hate to state this, it may be best to severely limit liquids (and even certain foods) before your flight to limit the need for lav access. If you're diabetic or have kidney/heart problems, this has its own problems, so follow your doctor's advice instead of mine!

As far as the seat extender goes (I use one to enable easier buckling, not because I fill more than my seat), even with two seats most carriers won't even allow you to fly if you need more than one extension. Check your carrier for seat belt max length and extension max length before you book, if you can. If they refuse to fly you, and it's a nonrefundable ticket, you will be in for a battle, even if it's their service refusal grounding you.

In truly severe situations, I know it's not a good option, but Depends are always a thought. When my father broke his hip and needed to fly home (somewhere in Pennsylvania/PHX), he couldn't transfer from his first-class seat into the first lav, even with my brother's help. He held it until landing, but afterwards swore that the Depends he'd shouted he 'wasn't going to wear!' would have been preferable to needing to go so badly by the time he deplaned that he was near tears. If you are a man, a Foley catheter and a leg bag (ask your doctor, it's not something you insert), or a woman, a female urinary director, which allows you to urinate standing, may be options. Search 'Freshette' for one director on the market (at REI and other places). It's not the only one, but it's the one most available. The US military uses it, that's how I learned about it.

Changing carriers may or may not let you use a larger lav. It will cost more, that I can guarantee. It's your call. I wish I had better news. Good luck to you on your upcoming trip.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've seen accessible lavs on the DL 777LRs (BE, behind seat 7D) and on the SQ 747s (lower deck business class, back lavatory of the left hand side). However, IIRC the SQ version did not have a larger or different door. I think DL also has an accessible BE lav in the front of its 777ER aircraft, but I might be remembering incorrectly.

Even if one isn't disabled, these lavs are very convenient for changing clothes.

I would assume that these aircraft also have accessible lavs available for coach passengers, although SQ somewhat surprisingly doesn't seem to have an accessible lav for its FC passengers.
I think you'll only find handicap/accessible lavs on the widebody jets not on the type you'll be flying in country.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I would agree with DeafFlyer in that fold up armrests always seem to stick out to some degree. However, I have seen arm rests that lift out and away, which likely would be more comfortable for you.

Don't ask me plane types; I'm the type that notices two wings and a couple engines and calls it a plane . I believe where I saw the lift-out arm was probably a bulk head seat, but may have been the second row on a plane where the second row was designated for handicapped pax and the lift out was so that wheelchair users could slide across the seat. (some seat charts show that, some don't).

Perhaps your best bet would be the contact the airlines by phone and persist until you get something like the disabilities assistance desk (I think that's what DL calls it) and ask exactly what types of seating each flight has.

You should avoid bulkhead and. Any rows with seats that have the food tray built into the armrest. Those armrests don't lift up at all and they also make the seat width even smaller.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:22 am

Update: I just flew to and from Europe on an SAS Airbus A340, and for the first time in my life, I noticed that the armrests do not stick out much when raised! I was never big enough to need them raised until now. If you recline the seat, though, the armrests do not recline with the seat. That results in them sticking out more, and is uncomfortable. I kept the seat up and it was much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.