FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Disability Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel-224/)
-   -   Disabled Blue Card France (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel/794080-disabled-blue-card-france.html)

KDHawaii Feb 23, 2008 11:05 pm

Disabled Blue Card France

Hello,

My partner and I will be going to France this summer. I myself am Deaf. There are several museums in Paris that are free for disabled people like myself however they required to have a disabled blue card for admission. Since I am an American, where can I get the disabled blue card for museum admissions???? I googled it but I could not find it. Your help is greatly appreicated.

thanks!

Wiggums Feb 26, 2008 10:55 am

I know many deaf people just point at their deaf ears or sign in front of the cashier - they'll give you a discount on the spot.

Tell your partner to sign too. Keep in mind not all museums give HC discounts.

chrissxb Feb 26, 2008 12:07 pm

I heard that US blue cards work in france, too. and you can't get a french one.

the french card is for french residents only:
Information for the disabled and application forms for the Disabled Persons Card, are available from the centre communal d'action sociale, at your local Mairie, or COTOREP (commission technique d'orientation et de reclassement professionnel). The card provides for discounts and assistance in various areas.

from internet:

Cars parked in disabled spaces must display the GIG - GIC disabled sticker or an EU blue badge in the window. The blue badge is a standardised European Community disabled person's parking permit which provides parking entitlements to badge holders in all complying European countries - a blue badge from one country is valid in another. A person coming to France from another EU country may want to apply in their home country for this universal badge which allows the use of reserved parking.

It is recommended to check locally at the town hall (hotel de ville) or with the municipal police (police municipal) for disabled parking regulations.

Things to keep in mind:

* Disabled spaces in car parks reserved for disabled people are marked with a wheelchair symbol
* Do not park in pedestrian zones or on roads where parking is not allowed
* Parking on roads is generally not free of charge for disabled drivers (except in Paris and a few other cities)
* In many areas, disabled drivers may park without time restrictions on roads where parking is free but has parking time limits
* Full details from the ECMT (European Conference of Ministers of Transport): Click here

Drivers with a blue badge from another European country may display this translation beside a badge written in another language (text from the UK Automobile Association):

Carte de stationnement pour handicapé.
La personne à qui appartient cette
carte de stationnement est un
visiteur handicapé d'un autre pays de
la communauté européenne et a les
mêmes droits en matière de
stationnement qu'un handicapé de votre pays.
VERSION COMMUNAUTE EUROPEENNE

emika Mar 3, 2008 5:28 am

I went to Paris last summer and I had to show some form of ID that showed that I was deaf before they would allow me enter for free at some smaller museums, but at Louvre they told me I didn't have to show an ID.

I used the disabled/senior discount pass for the local public transportation system as my disabled ID so you might want to check out getting one if there's a large city near you. Just say that you're there for business a lot or something to get a pass as a non-local if they give you a hard time.

Don't forget to go to Cafe Signes while you're in Paris to meet some local deaf people! LSF is very easy to understand if you know ASL and we were able to talk without too much trouble :)