Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Not sure why no one thinks this is important

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass

I posted a question about this over on the Security part of the site and not a single person answered--not even one of the many TSA people over there.

Are passengers who are exclusively tube-fed allowed to bring their formula on the plane, or are they consigned to not eating, as part of the "sacrifices we all have to make?"
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
I would imagine that would fall under the category of allowable non-prescription items.

Just guessing here....
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

TSA regulations say that you are allowed to bring 4 oz. of nonprescription medication; all the tube formulas I have seen come in 8-oz cans. And if I were bringing a tube-fed child on a coast-to-coast flight I'd want to have a couple of cans with me, in case of plane delays, or whatever.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:14 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I wouldn't equate a lack of answers with everyone thinking your question is unimportant. It could be no one who's seen your question knows the answer, especially with the rules changing and being rather inconsistent. On something so important, I would probably try to contact DHS/TSA to get an answer in writing.

From the TSA site:
For questions or concerns about Travel Tips, Permitted and Prohibited Items, and information on filing a claim for lost, stolen or damaged items, please call the TSA Contact Center.

Phone: 1-866-289-9673 toll-free
E-mail: [email protected]
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the contact info, letiole!

I wrote to the TSA and will post back here if I hear anything either way. Googling turned up some other people wondering the same question elsewhere on the web.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by stinky123
I posted a question about this over on the Security part of the site and not a single person answered--not even one of the many TSA people over there.

Are passengers who are exclusively tube-fed allowed to bring their formula on the plane, or are they consigned to not eating, as part of the "sacrifices we all have to make?"
From a security point of view, the danger is that it is not beneath the terrorists to have a passenger who is only PRETENDING to be tube-fed. The danger they pose goes well beyond not being able to eat on a flight.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agrater
From a security point of view, the danger is that it is not beneath the terrorists to have a passenger who is only PRETENDING to be tube-fed. The danger they pose goes well beyond not being able to eat on a flight.
I've got to assume that you've never seen a g-tube; they are surgically implanted in the stomach. I'm not sure that something you'd be able to fake.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:13 pm

Of course it's important. The problem is that it's very difficult to get any kind of useful information; I suspect the TSA is going to make up the rules as they encounter the problems.

There is some blogging going on about this:

Terrorism, airport security and the disabled
Old Aug 17, 2006, 1:58 pm

The BBC's disability site, Ouch!, has an article today on travel restrictions:

New airline baggage restrictions: disabled traveller help
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:53 pm

Programs: United MP
I used to have a "J" tube, which is similar to a "G" tube. My doctor wrote instructions, almost like a precription, for me. I wonder if something like that will help. My "J" tube was removed and I have not flown with it, so I'm not sure what to do.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Katja, thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by Katja
The BBC's disability site, Ouch!, has an article today on travel restrictions:

New airline baggage restrictions: disabled traveller help
I'm not feeling good at all about this. Charging a pound for water (about $1.86) is a lot of money and there is no guaranty there's enough for everyone to have one bottle or even more than one.

Having flown short of water on a BA flight before the current situation, I can tell you it is miserable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.