Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

How to manage a frequent need for public restrooms in Paris?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:28 am
Original Poster

For medical reasons, I have to drink a LOT of water over an entire day--and therefore need to find public restrooms as often as every 30 minutes. I do not need wheelchair access. Am planning a two-week trip to Paris, lots of walking through neighborhoods, and would like ideas on how to manage the restroom problem. Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:06 pm

Programs: United MP
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Just an idea.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the link. It's a useful product to know about. But if one has to find a private place before using it--that would seem to be a problem for a tourist walking around a neighborhood. Any ideas about dealing with that problem?
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:32 pm

You just have to find a place reasonably private. I've used a different product from campmor that way. Here it's easy in the car, but in another country it's a challenge. I try to figure when, or how often, and plan to be in a place where there is a restroom, or even a regular room, where I can use it and dump it later. So far, in two trips to Europe I've been able to work it out. I wish I had better advice.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paris actually has a number of public restrooms in touristy areas. At the moment I can't remember if they've opened them back up or still have them closed for "security reasons."
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:48 pm

I always kept track of where the McDonalds were and used them as a bathroom. Also look for department stores. Good luck!
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
McDonald's is always good for a lav, as pointed out. The usual scene is to go into a cafe to order a coffee, then use the lav, but in your case seems counter-productive.
The large hotels have restrooms, sometimes off the lobby, sometimes downstairs, and if you blend in, it's easy to use. There's a McDonald's near the top of the Champs Elysees, and near the Tuilleries is the chocolate/pastry shop, Angelina's, which has nice facilities upstairs.
Some areas have an automated sidewalk coin lav, I've seen one near the Madeleine.
Some of the big stores, but not all, have them for the public; if I were in the 6th and in need, I'd try Bon Marche. Museums are also a good bet.
Someone, somewhere, must have written a book on lavs of the major cities.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
yeah, just go into a cafe and order a drink and then use the restroom. to make it quicker, you can just go straight to the bar (the type where you stand - no chairs available) order a cafe and then ask for the toilet.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:39 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Paris is easy! On every corner there is a cafe. Every cafe has a restroom downstairs. The stairs are usually located in the center of the cafe and they only go down. Look for a railing. The facilities are two small rooms maked for men and women and one urinal in the hall.

I don't order anything or even make eye contact. Just in and out.

There are also the booth type public facilities but they take an odd number of coins. Get a set of the correct coins and keep them together in you pocket.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by lili-dui
Paris is easy! On every corner there is a cafe. Every cafe has a restroom downstairs. The stairs are usually located in the center of the cafe and they only go down. Look for a railing. The facilities are two small rooms maked for men and women and one urinal in the hall.
Great! Except for those with disabilities that use wheelchairs, and doubtless others who are stair-challenged.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:03 am
Original Poster

To everyone: Thank you! And I'll keep checking in case anyone thinks of something else (or discovers that book that must [?] have been written about lavs in major cities).
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Great! Except for those with disabilities that use wheelchairs, and doubtless others who are stair-challenged.
Very true, but the OP said he/she didn't need wheelchair access. Beyond the stair issue, these facilities are very tight quarters.

I'm not sure the oval green street toilets are wheelchair accesible, although they are fairly new.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 4:12 pm

Programs: Premier 1K (Former CO Plat)
Smile Paris Public Restrooms

Originally Posted by yarnsgalore
For medical reasons, I have to drink a LOT of water over an entire day--and therefore need to find public restrooms as often as every 30 minutes. I do not need wheelchair access. Am planning a two-week trip to Paris, lots of walking through neighborhoods, and would like ideas on how to manage the restroom problem. Thanks!
This is an easy one. I visit Paris anually, and sometimes share your problem. First of all, every McDonalds and BurgerKing has an American style clean bathroom, and they don't blink an eyelash if you charge through the front door and go directly to the WC. Second, every cafe has a toilet, not always clean, sometimes down stairs, and occasionally requiring a coin for the door or to tip an attendant. There are a few public toilets on the sidewalks that are very hygienic, but require a coin. Museums are no problem - but if urgency is, locate the restrooms upon entering. Airport bathrooms are clean, but I would avoid Metro and RER facilities if at all possible. In the area of the Opera, there is old faithful, American Express, that I have been using since 1954!

I don't know if this is your first trip to Paris or your tenth, but because so many friends ask for advice, I do have a website on "My" Paris, that has a lot of hints about enjoying the city of lights, including some things that most people following their guidebooks tend not to do, and that are spectacular. Feel free to visit: http://www.geocities.com/bobsparisto...paristour.html

It is probably easier to GOOGLE "bobsparistour" and go to the website from there.

Enjoy,
Skymaster

Last edited by skymaster; Sep 6, 2006 at 8:01 pm Reason: make last line easier to read
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: United, AAdvantage
Public restrooms 2012

As the posts in this thread are several years old, I am going to add that we found it difficult to find public restrooms around the major sites of Paris as of 2012. Someone recommended McDonald's and I would say in general it is still true you can just walk (and sit and use free wifi) into a McDonald's to use the restroom. Keep in mind some of them may be locked (require coins, but the coin handle may not work, just wait for someone to come out). Starbucks generally required you to purchase and the code is on the receipt.

Almost none of the public restrooms in museums and in McDonald's & Starbucks in Paris were clean. They were modern, usually, but it reminded me very much of Asia, as far as cleanliness goes. Also, the women & men usually share sinks and toilets, especially in restaurants/fast food/cafes. But the stalls have floor-to-ceiling walls and real doors for privacy. Bring hand sanitizer and/or wipes, some places did not have/ran out of soap. To be fair, everything we went to was very busy, so I think that is why the toilets get so dirty.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bj430
As the posts in this thread are several years old, I am going to add that we found it difficult to find public restrooms around the major sites of Paris as of 2012. Someone recommended McDonald's and I would say in general it is still true you can just walk (and sit and use free wifi) into a McDonald's to use the restroom. Keep in mind some of them may be locked (require coins, but the coin handle may not work, just wait for someone to come out). Starbucks generally required you to purchase and the code is on the receipt.

Almost none of the public restrooms in museums and in McDonald's & Starbucks in Paris were clean. They were modern, usually, but it reminded me very much of Asia, as far as cleanliness goes. Also, the women & men usually share sinks and toilets, especially in restaurants/fast food/cafes. But the stalls have floor-to-ceiling walls and real doors for privacy. Bring hand sanitizer and/or wipes, some places did not have/ran out of soap. To be fair, everything we went to was very busy, so I think that is why the toilets get so dirty.
I have come across some McDonalds that require you to purchase something to ge a code for the restroom. The part about sharing a washbasin between WC for men and women is common too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.