Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disabled Veterans

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2004, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Disabled Veterans

On a Friday flight to Reagan International Airport in Washington, sadly we had to deny boarding to two WWII veterans who were going to the dedication of the war memorial even though they had made reservations in February. These elderly men had on their military uniforms and were so excited about meeting up with the survivors of their unit. THEY DID NOT GET TO GO TO WASHINGTON - AT ALL!!!!

Why? Because one woman insisted on bringing her personal wheelchair on board rather than stow it under the aircraft. To stow her wheelchair blocks off two seats, so the passengers assigned to those seats were not allowed to go as all other seats were full (as were all other flights that day).

Wheelchairs are checked at the door of the airplane and put immediately into the cargo space along with baby strollers and are the first things to be brought up, often before we even open the airplane doors. The woman who took 3 seats (hers and 2 for her chair) had to wait until everyone deplaned and a gate agent was available to come down and unstrap it. She walked very well (we watched her walk to the lav several times) and was one of the first 20 people off but had to stand on the hot jetway for 15 minutes until it could be unloaded. If she had stowed it underneath the airplane, it would have been waiting on her when she deplaned.

We are not allowed to tell passengers why they are denied boarding nor can we deny taking the wheelchair onboard.

Why would you want to take it onboard? It doesn't add to your mobility - You can't use it, it doesn't fit the aisleways and in an emergency you can't get to it. It takes longer to get it from the seats than the cargo bay. I can't say that it wouldn't get lost, but it would be extremely rare as it does not go thru baggage claim and is loaded right at the door of the aircraft. It's right there waiting for you at your arrival city.

This is part of the discrimination act, and the act was needed and a long time coming, but what about just plain consideration and caring for others. No matter what your physical condition, common sense and courtesy should prevail.
Old May 31, 2004, 10:08 am

Programs: United MP
It can be denied if there is one in the closet space provided for carrying the chair. If the space is not being used by another wheelchair then it can't be denied. There is nothing in the Air Carrier Access Act about putting the chair in between seats or on seats or blocking seats.

I can guess some of the reasons for the ACAA requiring stowing a wheelchair on-board. Since I had nothing to do with the USDOT ACAA I can only guess the reasons why. My guesses are based on my experience as a wheelchair user.

1. You mentioned this in another post. People sometimes grab a wheelchair that is not there for them. Sometimes that chair is mine. A wheerlchair stowed on board is likely to remain stowed until most of the pax are gone. This reduces the chance my chair will be taken. If it is taken off first then it makes no difference.

2. If it's stowed on board, then I know it will arrive with me. If I leave it at the door, I have to hope that it wasn't forgotten. Mistakes happen. Strollers and bags sometimes get left by accident. My wheelchair is custom made for me and fits my needs. Airport chairs are often unuseable for any length of time. My wheelchair cost thousands of dollars and I had to wait 4 months to get it. How fast can an airline replace it or loan me one that will meet my needs? Past experience doesn't give me much confidence.

3. My wheelchair is my "legs" an extension of me. It is very precious to me. I personnally don't want my "legs" stowed in the cargo hold.

4. Ever observed baggage handlers? I'm worried they are going to seriously damage my chair. Carrying it down the steps and tossing it into the cargo hold like it's just another bag is not something that I want too inflict on my "legs."

I'm sure I could come up with more if I tried real hard. The point is, there are good reasons why wheelchair users want their chair stowed on board. You may not understand it but it is part of the Air Carrier Access Act for a reason.

Still, if it has to go in the cargo hold, it's okay with me, just don't expect me to like it.

Last edited by DeafFlyer; May 31, 2004 at 10:48 am
Old Jun 4, 2004, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
It can be denied if there is one in the closet space provided for carrying the chair. [You obviously don't know that all aircraft do not have closets.] If the space is not being used by another wheelchair then it can't be denied.[why should one be denied - that's discrimination] There is nothing in the Air Carrier Access Act about putting the chair in between seats or on seats or blocking seats. [read it again]

I can guess some of the reasons for the ACAA requiring stowing a wheelchair on-board. Since I had nothing to do with the USDOT ACAA I can only guess the reasons why. My guesses are based on my experience as a wheelchair user.

1. You mentioned this in another post. People sometimes grab a wheelchair that is not there for them. Sometimes that chair is mine. [your chair is tagged, others have the airline name on it with someone to push] A wheerlchair stowed on board is likely to remain stowed until most of the pax are gone. This reduces the chance my chair will be taken. If it is taken off first then it makes no difference. [unless you are able to stand in the jetway and more than likely miss your connecting flight]
2. If it's stowed on board, then I know it will arrive with me. If I leave it at the door, I have to hope that it wasn't forgotten. Mistakes happen. Strollers and bags sometimes get left by accident.[Extremely rare] My wheelchair is custom made for me and fits my needs. Airport chairs are often unuseable for any length of time. My wheelchair cost thousands of dollars and I had to wait 4 months to get it. How fast can an airline replace it or loan me one that will meet my needs? Past experience doesn't give me much confidence.

3. My wheelchair is my "legs" an extension of me. It is very precious to me. I personnally don't want my "legs" stowed in the cargo hold. [The person who loses their seats are precious as well. If it's so important to carry your wheelchair on board and take 3 seats, you should pay for 3 seats and do so willingly. Bet that would make you check it!!!!]

4. Ever observed baggage handlers? I'm worried they are going to seriously damage my chair. Carrying it down the steps and tossing it into the cargo hold like it's just another bag is not something that I want too inflict on my "legs." [Bagagge handlers to not load gate checkins]

I'm sure I could come up with more if I tried real hard. The point is, there are good reasons why wheelchair users want their chair stowed on board. You may not understand it but it is part of the Air Carrier Access Act for a reason. [Yes, effective lobbying]

Still, if it has to go in the cargo hold, it's okay with me, just don't expect me to like it.
I know this is coming across as uncaring but I really am empathetic to your needs. However, when your rights interfere with someone else's, common sense should prevail.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 1:53 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by helpu2fly
I know this is coming across as uncaring but I really am empathetic to your needs. However, when your rights interfere with someone else's, common sense should prevail.
I'm sure you do care. I think that you misunderstand me a bit. My responses to each of your comments:

I am aware that not all aircraft have closets. In that case the chair should go below. That is my understanding of the DOT rules. I'm surprised that an airline would take up seats to transport a wheelchair. I definetly don't think the airlines should have to give up seats for that.

--
Sometimes airlines try to tell wheelchair users that they can't carry the chair in the closet. Turns out crews were storing their stuff in that closet. The rules are that a wheelchair takes priority in that closet.
--
As to a chair in the jetway being tagged, when has that stopped someone from taking it?
--
I'm confused about your remark about standing in the jetway and missing the connecting flight? I'm always the last person off the plane as I have to wait for the aisle chair and the men who assist me. I've waited as long as 30 minutes or more. I've resigned myself to this fact. If I miss the connection it will be the airline's fault.
--
I doubt that leaving bags or strollers or chairs is EXTREMELY RARE. I'll settle for rare.
--
I am not the person in your original post who insisted on taking up 3 seats for their wheelchair. I've never heard of an airline doing that. In that case, I agree with you, the chair should go below.
--
I don't know who loads gate check ins. Does it matter? There's countless stories in the disability community of broken chairs and stranded pac due to mishandling.
--
In this case the lobbying was effective due to the need that existed. You must think that all of us with disabilities set out to make your job difficult. They must have got together and came up with all this accessibility stuff just to give you a headache. I can assure you that not one person with a disability wants to make your job harder. They want to make life easier for everyone.
--
That said, you seem like you do a good job and I'm glad that I had a chance to communicate with you on this forum.

Last edited by DeafFlyer; Jun 4, 2004 at 1:55 pm
Old Jun 4, 2004, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Scott,

Thanks for understanding. I didn't realize you needed an aisle chair. In that case, yes, you would be the last one off. The person I'm talking about was able to walk off the aircraft and was one of the first off but she had to wait until everyone got off and we could unstrap her chair from the two seats it had occupied. Had she put her chair in cargo, she could have gotten it immediately and left.

It is very frustrating for the crew and gate agents. They call in advance for wheelchairs but sometimes the wait is very long. I agree that should you miss your connection the airline should be held responsible and get you to your destination asap.

I have only been a flight attendant for 3 years and I have become hardened during that time. We are blamed for everything from mechanical to weather and if you don't learn to ignore it, you will lose your temper (and your mind).

You sound as though you would appreciate any help given you. You would not believe what people think we 'owe' them. I've met some wonderful people who are disabled. They have great attitudes and are fun to have on board. Other passengers behave the same. i.e. put my bag up because I'm too short!!!!

It is so rare that a passenger actually says 'please' and 'thank you' that we will go out of our way to ensure they have a great flight. You seem that type.

Take care
Old Jul 9, 2004, 1:21 pm

you said you cannot tell passengers why they are denied boarding nor can you deny taking the wheelchair onboard. ok. did you politely, quietly tell the lady exactly that these two military men could not fly because of it?

not just, hey, two seats will be gone from others, but, after u knew about the veterans and their story, did you tell her exactly about their personal situation? and if so, she did not care about the veterans?
Old Jul 10, 2004, 7:22 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
I believe there is an unfortunate lack of adequate respect for disability travel issues (for a myriad of reasons, I suppose).

I do wonder, though, if there was an attempt made to Rule 240 the two veterans so that they could make it to DC?
Old Jul 25, 2004, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by helpu2fly
On a Friday flight to Reagan International Airport in Washington, sadly we had to deny boarding to two WWII veterans who were going to the dedication of the war memorial even though they had made reservations in February. These elderly men had on their military uniforms and were so excited about meeting up with the survivors of their unit. THEY DID NOT GET TO GO TO WASHINGTON - AT ALL!!!!

Why? Because one woman insisted on bringing her personal wheelchair on board rather than stow it under the aircraft. To stow her wheelchair blocks off two seats, so the passengers assigned to those seats were not allowed to go as all other seats were full .....
I am disabled and travel with my wheelchair. Like DeafFlyer, I'd much prefer to have my chair on board, for all the same reasons. I am always terrified I will lose my chair or it will be broken, once it leaves my sight. It cost many thousands of dollars and took months to get. How many people would want their most precious possession to be stowed as cargo, without any protective packaging, and then left at a gate, unattended -- the tag is pretty much meaningless! Especially if it's something that many people would like to use and kids want to play with?!?

BUT, nevertheless, I'd rather check my chair as cargo than deny a seat to a ticketed passenger, especially someone travelling for a once-in-a-lifetime event and without an alternate flight available! However, I'd never assume that would be a possibility! I doubt if the lady referenced in your post had any idea there would be such an outcome as a result of requesting that her chair be stowed on board, when she made the request. Did anyone discuss it with her and offer her an alternate choice? If not, then I think she's as much a "victim" of an unfortunate turn of events as the gents who missed their flight, although she may not know it. After all, she's now being condemned in a public forum! If she knew the situation and insisted on having her chair on board in spite of bumping the two men, then she may be worthy of condemnation -- but if she was ignorant of it, then I think she's innocent of wrongdoing.

Living with a disability is pretty hard a lot of the time, and it definitely makes travelling more difficult. But some of the worst aspects -- thankfully, not encountered too frequently -- are those that could be avoided entirely if others could better understand and be more compassionate. By this I mean the resentment and annoyance that some people express when they are inconvenienced in any way, and the lack of respect and willingness to offer accommodation that people in the travel industry sometimes show. When you've been on the receiving end of such maltreatment, you become especially sensitive to other people's needs and want to prevent such suffering -- that's why I'd rather check my chair as cargo than bump an old veteran from his seat!

Cheers,

Cyndi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.