Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

How much to tip the wheelchair person?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard

I would be interested in hearing how much, if anything, FT readers who use wheelchairs tip the attendant(s), if there is any difference if 1) the attendant pushes two wheelchairs at once, or 2) you are at ORD and the attendant pushes you 1/4 mile in one direction, there is a gate change, and you have to be pushed 1/4 mile in the other direction.

Also, is there such a thing as a chair with a little shelf or rack in the back to hold one's carry-on bag?
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:12 pm

Programs: United MP
I don't like tipping them, but will. Last summer though, I only had $20 and I wasn't going to give him that. He didn't look happy when he got nothing.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
I gave the guy at DFW $10 because he really did a great job helping me transfer my father.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 9:09 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by mbstone
Also, is there such a thing as a chair with a little shelf or rack in the back to hold one's carry-on bag?
Never heard of one, but you can hang almost anything off the push handles on the back of chairs. However, be careful of the weight. You don't the cair to tip backwards when getting up, or going up steep ramps.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 9:21 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
When travelling with my mother, we always need a wheelchair. I sort of guage the tip by the amount of time and distance involved. If it's just a short jaunt from the ticket counter to a nearby gate, I'll tip as little as $3.00. But anything further or more time consuming, I usually tip $5.00. Recently in Las Vegas, I tipped an older gentlemen $5.00. He said although he appreciated it, (and accepted it,) tipping is NOT required. But considering how the wheel chair and the "pusher" makes life so much easier, it's well worth it to us to give them a few bucks.

As for the carry-on bag, when my mother is in the chair, she stands her bag in the small space between her feet and keeps it secure by just by holding onto it. She usually can put one of my small bags on her lap too.

Last edited by Neal; Feb 10, 2005 at 9:25 am
Old Feb 10, 2005, 5:24 pm

Back when I used them, I tipped $5.

(Now I use my own wheelchair, without push handles, and I don't let anybody push me.)
Old Feb 11, 2005, 3:11 pm

I usually tip a minimum of $3. also. And $5. is common. I agree it's generally based on the distance.
But when you travel with changes of planes it can get expensive. One at your departure airport, another at the interim airport, sometimes a second assistant at that interim airport to help get on the plane, and then a final one at the destination.

If you ever have an in-depth conversation with these wheelchair attendants you may notice (as I have) that they are sometimes mentally handicapped... just a little bit. I always feel as tho that means that they're paid at the lowest possible wage and deserve the tip even more.

Considering that I"m having them push my retarded sister (who also has balance problems) I guess I feel obliged.

Rita
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:11 am

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
I had to travel from D to T7 at ATL with a sprained ankle and tipped the pusher $10. When my MIL had to be pushed from the ticket counter to BXX I gave the pusher $20, just to put up with her.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:43 am

Maybe I would tip more if I used a wheelchair infrequently, but where I always need one when I'm accompanying my sister, it becomes an added travel expense that can really mount up.
Rita

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.