Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Inflight Movies for the deaf passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Movies for the deaf passengers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2004, 4:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes movie theatres have closed captioned however it only happens twice a month.
Old May 3, 2004, 5:30 pm

Programs: United MP
I've reached the conclusion that FTer's are extremely insensitive to disabled pax. This is not the first thread where asking for accommodation is treaterd with a response that says, "Sorry, that is not a reasonable request." It seems that your disability counts, only if you are in a wheelchair. (I'm in a wheelchair, in addition to being Deaf.)

Delta has chosen to discriminate, so it's up to you if you want your money going to them. Unfortunately, most airlines are the same. Virgin, appears to be an exception.

The ADA does not cover airlines, it's the Air Carrier Access Act (right name?) that covers it.
Old May 4, 2004, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KDHawaii777
Yes movie theatres have closed captioned however it only happens twice a month.
Please show a link to that for all movie theatres across the US. I have never heard of that.

Secondly, you seem combative with those with whom you disagree, You brought up a topic to discuss and there are those who disagree with your premise. So why do you seem to get offended?

If anything, you brought up something I never even considered. The safety information cards are not in braille. Don't you realize how much more important that is than your concern about closed caption movies? Movies are an amenity; safety cards are a necessity. Why aren't safety cards in braille? Probably because there is no legal requirement. Now if aircraft are not outfitted with braille information cards which give them life and death safety information about evacuation over water or land, instructions about oxygen masks, and how to put on lifevests, (all of which are vitally more important than the luxury of a movie), then they are not required to have closed captioned movies.
Old May 4, 2004, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I've reached the conclusion that FTer's are extremely insensitive to disabled pax. This is not the first thread where asking for accommodation is treaterd with a response that says, "Sorry, that is not a reasonable request." It seems that your disability counts, only if you are in a wheelchair. (I'm in a wheelchair, in addition to being Deaf.)

Delta has chosen to discriminate, so it's up to you if you want your money going to them. Unfortunately, most airlines are the same. Virgin, appears to be an exception.

The ADA does not cover airlines, it's the Air Carrier Access Act (right name?) that covers it.
I'm not insensitive to people who are disabled. As I mentioned earlier I have a child with a serious hearing problem. He works around it on airplanes the way that he works around it in many areas of his life. Do we get special accomodation at times, yes, but we don't think that it is anyone's obligation to provide it for us. At times it is a gift, an act of good will, and at other times we can and do pay for it. The difference between my position and yours is simply that. I think that the idea behind the ADA is noble but to the degree that it creates an entitlement mentality, it is abhorrent. Particularly when it causes such an incredible fuss over movies that are, I hope you will agree, usually pretty lame.

I think that people who push on this issue do themselves a disservice by not picking more important agenda items first. It is rather like PETA going full bore against meat-eating rather than concentrating on overt and still pressing cases of animal cruelty.
Old May 4, 2004, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I'm not insensitive to people who are disabled. As I mentioned earlier I have a child with a serious hearing problem. He works around it on airplanes the way that he works around it in many areas of his life. Do we get special accomodation at times, yes, but we don't think that it is anyone's obligation to provide it for us. At times it is a gift, an act of good will, and at other times we can and do pay for it. The difference between my position and yours is simply that. I think that the idea behind the ADA is noble but to the degree that it creates an entitlement mentality, it is abhorrent. Particularly when it causes such an incredible fuss over movies that are, I hope you will agree, usually pretty lame.

I think that people who push on this issue do themselves a disservice by not picking more important agenda items first. It is rather like PETA going full bore against meat-eating rather than concentrating on overt and still pressing cases of animal cruelty.
This has nothing to do with entitlement. The problem here is your assumption that since your child has a hearing loss that you understand. You clearly do not understand. I'm sure someday your child will tell you the same.

The OP had a simple, and cheap, solution to the problem. The cost to Delta would be very small. Many airlines already have DVD players. Why the sermon on entitlement when he just wants access to the same things you enjoy? He's not asking v ery much.
Old May 4, 2004, 6:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Please show a link to that for all movie theatres across the US. I have never heard of that

Here is the link..

http://www.insightcinema.org/films_states1.html
Old May 4, 2004, 6:41 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Please show a link to that for all movie theatres across the US. I have never heard of that

Here is the link..

Thank's! this is very helpfull information!
Old May 4, 2004, 6:42 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
oops, dupe.

Last edited by HigherFlyer; May 4, 2004 at 6:43 pm Reason: oops
Old May 4, 2004, 11:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TravelManKen
Having wheelchairs available for all gates and flights is reasonable, it's needed so that people can get on/off an airplane without being forced to have someone carry them. A portable DVD player is a luxury item that is not needed to insure the safety or comfort of a a disabled passenger.
I'd look at this in a different way: The wheelchairs provided by airlines and airports are of inconsistent design, some of them not adequate for some people who need a wheelchair. DVD players would be consistently useful to blind people and very cheap for the airline to provide, given the few people who can't see the screen.

Last edited by Kremmen; May 4, 2004 at 11:59 pm Reason: added a word
Old May 5, 2004, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here is the link..

This link shows a listing of cinemas which I assume offer open caption capabilities. There is no wording about any requirement. And what a small list unless you think that there is only one cinema house in Manhattan! And where is the twice per month requirement for all of the nation's cinemaplexes?
Old May 5, 2004, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
This link shows a listing of cinemas which I assume offer open caption capabilities. There is no wording about any requirement. And what a small list unless you think that there is only one cinema house in Manhattan! And where is the twice per month requirement for all of the nation's cinemaplexes?
Who said anything about required? http://nad.org/infocenter/newsroom/p...ition0901.html
Has info regarding legal requirements for captioning. As far as I know there are court cases regarding the issue, which are still ongoing.
Old May 6, 2004, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
This has nothing to do with entitlement.

[snip]
Just out of curiosity - why do you use the name "DeafFlyer?" I've never seen anyone else put a disability in their "handle."
Old May 6, 2004, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by JeremyZ
Just out of curiosity - why do you use the name "DeafFlyer?" I've never seen anyone else put a disability in their "handle."
Couldn't think of anything else. Didn't want to use my usual online identity. No real reason. I've been thinking of changing it.
Old May 6, 2004, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by JeremyZ
My 'handle' is actually a reference to the treatment for my disability. I use medical cannabis for muscle spasms and severe back pain.
Old May 8, 2004, 7:25 am

I figured this news about the captioning lawsuit in DC would be interesting to those reading this thread.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...dgetmovietreat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.