Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Travel with my Wife to Israel (ERW to TLV)

Old Jan 24, 20, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus

In September my wife and are flying to Israel in Sept. She is mobile but uses a wheelchair for long distances. In the past, we would check our manual wheelchair and the airport provide a chair and pusher, The airport employee would help us navigate through security and customs Now we have an Electra 7 electric wheelchair with removable batteries. I believe the chair and batteries can be gate checked after she boards. Because we will not have this employee what should we expect?

Due to her being prone to cellulitis in her legs if there is an impact on them we used to book standard economy and then we would be moved to the first row behind the bulkhead so no one can recline into us. However, my wife shattered her humerus in August and it has not fully healed properly and it may never. Due to this, the doctor has advised us that she should be seated in a seat that no one can impact her left shoulder. An isle seat would ensure that no passenger touches her shoulder but she runs the risk of being hit by the beverage cart. Because she and I are large people it is common that we are hit by the cart. Due to this concern, I believe business class would be the only option but the cost is very high for us because she is unable to work due to the injury. Do you have any suggestions on how to save money on the flight?

Once in Israel, she wants to go to Eliat. She would like to stay in a hotel that has access to the reef.
Old Jan 31, 20, 4:07 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Ritz-Carlton Rewards Silver, Le Club Accor Silver
I would check all your flight options to see what is reasonable (and reasonably priced) when you are traveling to Israel. My husband and I went there last May, and ended up having two reasonably priced options in J out of NYC: Jordanian (which involved flying from JFK to Jordan, a short layover, then flying on to TLV), or Iberia (which involved flying from JFK to MAD, a longer layover -- and time in the new lounge -- and a flight with good seats to TLV). We chose Iberia, which worked out fine for our needs and budget-wise (and having the layover in the lounge in MAD gave us a chance to relax and recharge (I even got a decent nap in).

However, I fly with a manual wheelchair, which is different from what you are planning. And I speak Spanish fluently, which made the layover in MAD stress-free. Not sure what it would have been like otherwise.
obscure2k likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: