FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Disability Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel-224/)
-   -   Transfer in Frankfurt from USA & Help & Customs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel/1992314-transfer-frankfurt-usa-help-customs.html)

flymaja Oct 21, 2019 9:59 pm

Transfer in Frankfurt from USA & Help & Customs

My mom is 70+ and has problems walking with suitcases (she does not walk very securely) and also has back problems. She would like to stay a bit longer with us in the USA. Hence, we are looking into changing her flight from a direct flight to Switzerland with UA and instead going through Frankfurt (UA does not have any direct flight to Switzerland in November). Swiss has direct flights but the seats are not comfortable which will cause her back problems, hence, we are stuck with a layover. So the questions are:

* Coming from the USA, do you have to get your bags in Frankfurt, go through customs and then check them in again for the connecting flight to Switzerland?
* If the bags are not checked through to Switzerland, can we arrange for somebody to help her pick up the bags and check them in again? What is the cost for that?
* How difficult is the Frankfurt airport to navigate?
* In the USA there are wheelchair services. Do they have the same in Frankfurt? What is the cost?

Your input is very much appreciated.

Katja Oct 22, 2019 1:18 pm

I suggest she let the airline know that she needs wheelchair assistance. The Frankfurt airport is very large. She will be met at the plane, and the Sanis who bring the chair will accompany her wherever she needs to go, whether it is to pick up bags, get through customs, or get to the gate for a connecting flight. There is no charge for this service.

DeafFlyer Oct 24, 2019 2:41 pm

When you say "direct" I think you mean "non-stop" In the airline business 'direct" can include a stop en-route.

If you get tickets to Switzerland with a stop in Frankfurt, the bags will go through to Switzerland without needing to be picked up and re-checked. If you buy two separate tickets then you (she) might need to re-check the bags in FRA.

Also, i agree with what Katja posted.

bhomburg Oct 27, 2019 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by flymaja (Post 31653504)
Coming from the USA, do you have to get your bags in Frankfurt, go through customs and then check them in again for the connecting flight to Switzerland?

No, bags are checked through. Your mother will have to pass customs at her final destination, not in Frankfurt.

* How difficult is the Frankfurt airport to navigate?
If arriving on United/LH and connecting to LH, not very difficult. (no terminal change). However, there's some probability that the connecting flight to Switzerland will depart from a bus gate ,which may require a fair amount of walking.. If you post flight numbers I can check this for you.

* In the USA there are wheelchair services. Do they have the same in Frankfurt? What is the cost?
Frankfurt does have wheelchair services, which comes at no cost to the traveler. I would call Lufthansa at 1-800-645-3880 and request assistance.

keisari Nov 16, 2019 4:38 pm

I thought that if you fly US-FRA-ZRH you need to clear immigration in FRA.
Isn't that correct?
FRA-ZRH is an intra Schengen flight, right?

MSPeconomist Nov 16, 2019 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by keisari (Post 31744518)
I thought that if you fly US-FRA-ZRH you need to clear immigration in FRA.
Isn't that correct?
FRA-ZRH is an intra Schengen flight, right?

Immigration and customs can be different.

keisari Nov 17, 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31744548)
Immigration and customs can be different.

I get that. My point is the immigration must be done at FRA while the baggage will arrive in ZRH without having to pick it up in FRA
Unlike the US where immigration and customs is done at the point of entry.
So my question is: is the immigration part of my comment correct?

GUWonder Nov 20, 2019 3:21 am

Originally Posted by keisari (Post 31747171)
I get that. My point is the immigration must be done at FRA while the baggage will arrive in ZRH without having to pick it up in FRA
Unlike the US where immigration and customs is done at the point of entry.
So my question is: is the immigration part of my comment correct?

Yes, it is correct. Passport control is cleared at FRA; and checked baggage tagged for US-FRA-ZRH is to be claimed and cleared at ZRH (but not at FRA).

Just make sure the US-FRA-ZRH flights are all part of the same ticketed booking, to minimize the chance of problems.