Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

American Airlines or United Airlines for a wheelchair user?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:19 am
Original Poster

My name is Rachel and I live in Dublin, Ireland. I’m a young woman with a disability and I do my best to travel abroad once a year bringing my powered wheelchair with me

I also have breathing difficulties so I need to use a portable oxygen concentrator 24/7.

Next year I’m planning what will be my 9th trip to New York but what I’d like to do is also to visit Las Vegas during this trip.

I wouldn’t be able for two flights one after the other so what we’re planning to do is to fly to New York, spend a few days there; then fly from New York to Vegas – where we will stay for 4/5 nights – before flying back to New York for another few nights and travelling home from there.

For the majority of my previous travels I’ve flown with Aer Lingus. I did fly with Delta a few times but my chair was damaged on two of those occasions. The problem is Aer Lingus don’t travel between New York and Vegas so I’m looking for another airline; either United Airlines or American Airlines.

I’ve spoken to both of the airlines and they’ve assured me they will look after my chair and my needs but I want to hear what are other peoples thoughts and experiences.

Will my chair be safe and come back to me in one piece? Will I have a relatively stress free experience with either airline?

Also is this the best forum to have this message on? If not, can anyone suggest somewhere more appropriate?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: priority club
There is unlikely to be significant difference between any of the airlines.

Baggage handlers and Assistance staff are usually employed by the airports rather than airlines.
Some can take insufficient care of wheelchairs and their users at any airport
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:22 am

Damage

There is an article about w/c damage that was put out about 6 months ago.Just Google airline wheelchair damage. It's on the New Mobility website.
You also have to consider that several of the airlines don't fly the routes themselves but use contractors which are usually identified when booking. I would make sure that you have information for repair shops in both cities. Good luck!
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far, Looking at the article NYNC, I think I will be opting for United Airlines
Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
I fly quite a bit and always travel with my power wheelchair. I fly almost exclusively American Airlines in the United States for no particular reason other than I'm located near one of their hub cities. When you look into the damages caused by the various US airlines you need to take it with a grain of salt and consider the scale of the United States and the number of mobility devices handled. I've been traveling over 100,000 miles per year for the last 10 years and have yet to have my wheelchair damaged past the point of being able to use it on the spot, not to say that it doesn't happen, but just that I've been fortunate. When it comes to the difference between American and United I would consider them both equally careless. As a matter of fact if the latest survey I saw is to be believed I think that Delta and JetBlue were among the best at handling mobility devices that would fit your routes.

As far as how you purchase the tickets and which airlines you fly I don't know if you're going to be going through a travel agent that will be able to get you round-trip tickets on different airlines merged into the same reservation, but if you're going it yourself you'll be likely limited to American, United, or Delta and unfortunately the way airfare pricing works is that generally a stay over for a few days as you have proposed will create a significant price jump. My suggestion is to purchase a a round-trip from Dublin to New York on American, United, Aer Lingus, etc. Then purchase a separate round-trip ticket from New York to Las Vegas on American, United, JetBlue, etc. One thing I also suggest is basing your airline choice on where you are going to stay in the New York area. For example American and JetBlue fly from JFK airport in Queens that is about 45 minutes east of central Manhattan and United flies from Newark, New Jersey airport (EWR) that is probably a 1 hour ride from central Manhattan.

Please feel free to post further questions, otherwise I hope your journey goes well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.