Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

medical letter to justify pre-boarding for 'invisible' condition?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

medical letter to justify pre-boarding for 'invisible' condition?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Frans. You are wrong. I posted above the carte d'aide medical which you must have to be classified as "disabled". The link you posted is only for "limited mobility" and specifically states (had you read it) that it does not cover disabled. The carte is required for a dog (even a seeing eye) or any other state of disability. I know as I was required to get one here. It is totally unlike the US> For me to bring my "assistant" dog with me on planes or stores (I am color blind and have PTST - both from gulf one) I need this. In the US the animal can have a card (although not required except for airlines)
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:21 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Q2: Is it admissible to request proof from disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility about their medical condition? 4 No. The Regulation does not impose any obligation on disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility to provide evidence of their disability or reduced mobility (whether medical or other) in order to justify the assistance requested. Thus, carriers are not allowed to ask for such a proof as a precondition of selling a ticket or of permitting carriage.
Also I am a French citizen and travel with my disabled mother. She has the same ID as you and has never had to show it to have pre-boarding at ORY, TXL, etc...
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd worry a bit that if you show a GA some letter about a disability, the GA could question your fitness to fly. It would be OK to have something if asked, especially iof it is very clear that you're able to travel on your own, but I would be reluctant to show if to airline personnel unless absolutely necessary.
CDTraveler, HofstraJet and muji like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Frans you are correct. It is extremely rare. I am in a wheelchair. But occasionally some "every rule followed" will ask for the card before I can board at CDG.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Often1 is right, the EC specificially states that the traveler does not have to have a ID stating disability.
https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites...012-171_en.pdf

​​​​​​​
That is a "working document" meaning it is not the law.

The law is:
Article 88 of Act No. 87-588 of 30 July 1987 on various social measures reads as follows:
"Art. 88. - Access to transport, places open to the public, as well as those allowing activity
professional, trainer or educator is allowed to the guide dogs of blind or accompanying assistance
persons holding the disability card provided for in Article L. 241-3 of the Code of Social Action and
families.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by knownothing
That is a "working document" meaning it is not the law.

The law is:
Article 88 of Act No. 87-588 of 30 July 1987 on various social measures reads as follows:
"Art. 88. - Access to transport, places open to the public, as well as those allowing activity
professional, trainer or educator is allowed to the guide dogs of blind or accompanying assistance
persons holding the disability card provided for in Article L. 241-3 of the Code of Social Action and
families.
Once again, the original question was not about dogs.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:08 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

And this does not state that you must present the ID.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fransknorge
And this does not state that you must present the ID.
duh, no reason to have an id if it can't be requested to be seen. And I have been requested multiple times in Europe. Air France, Eurostar, Grocery Stores
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:40 am

In Germany I must have an ID with me at all time (passport, national identity card, ...) by law yet nobody but the Polizei can request to see it.
The law you quote says that to have a service dog, you must be a recognised disabled person. Not that you must have or present a disability ID. The wording is very clear, as is the wording of the european regulation I presented earlier in this thread.

When Air France are demanding to see proof of your disability in order for you to benefit from preboarding for example, they are breaking the law. They should not. A grocery store even more, you should consider refusing next time and if they refuse to serve you, call the police here and there.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Fransknorge. You should learn the difference between a working document and THE LAW. The working document is how they want to change the law, but as of today they can/may request the proof of your disability. And Katja, the example of the dog is just an example. But as to the OP note, airlines rarely (if ever) ask for documentation for early boarding. They may ask - but they don't usually
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:26 am

Sigh...
This is a draft of an interpretative document of regulation EC1107/2006 which is in force since 13 years, hence the working document in the title. This is the law.
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...X%3A32006R1107

Nobody can ask you to show proof of disability when doing every day lives activity in the European Union. Last time I checked the EU value medical privacy quite highly.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Fransknorge, I beg to differ with you. I posted the european law and I have been asked to show my disability card several times in multiple european countries. But not for early boarding on an airplane. But to take my PTST dog into "no dog" areas.

But also note your post is specific re; "rights of disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility when traveling by air" If you plan on taking a service dog on an European Airplane, they will ask to see your disability card. I speak from experience
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:32 pm

Unhappy he is getting blind

Any time [VERY soon I hope] we will be flying to France from the States so my husband can get eye surgeries.

He is now nearly 100% blind in one eye and has very advance cataract in both eyes.

This condition developed very fast, so he does not have any type of ID stating this disability.

This being due to a medication he has to take for an extremely rare disease, what he has left of his sight is disappearing fast.

So, he has difficulty walking fast - because of loss of depth perception, and he is afraid, of course, of bumping into people and things.

Can he qualify for this pre-boarding ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by femuse
Any time [VERY soon I hope] we will be flying to France from the States so my husband can get eye surgeries.

He is now nearly 100% blind in one eye and has very advance cataract in both eyes.

This condition developed very fast, so he does not have any type of ID stating this disability.

This being due to a medication he has to take for an extremely rare disease, what he has left of his sight is disappearing fast.

So, he has difficulty walking fast - because of loss of depth perception, and he is afraid, of course, of bumping into people and things.

Can he qualify for this pre-boarding ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
From your description, it sounds like it would be a very good idea to have wheelchair assistance for him. The airline (or airport; it varies by location) will provide the person to push. They he won't need to worry about walking speed or barriers, etc. And this is the type of disability/medical issue that IS a reason for having this type of assistance!

When you make your reservation, make sure that you enter that WC assistance is needed, or call the airline if there is no place for this online.

And pre-boarding will be almost automatic if he remains seated in the wheelchair at the boarding area. If not, get to the gate agents and tell them as soon as you (or they) arrive about his need for assistance. Chances are good they'll just wheel him down the jetway, which should make it easier for all of you.

Good luck!

GC
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by femuse

From the US to France you need no ID But the wheelchair idea is a good one. It is Europe where the problem sometimes lies. But again a wheelchair should do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.