Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

medical letter to justify pre-boarding for 'invisible' condition?

medical letter to justify pre-boarding for 'invisible' condition?

Old Oct 8, 19, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by knownothing View Post
It is Europe where the problem sometimes lies.
I know that besides the plane, we will have to take 2 or 3 trains !

But what I really dreaded is the mad rush in these narrow airplane aisles, with people pushing, bags all over - many tripping hazards,.... !

Trains won't be as bad.

If everything goes as planned - he won't need assistance for the way back to the States.

Thanks for confirming what I thought I understood reading that thread.

Really useful.
Old Oct 8, 19, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by femuse View Post
I know that besides the plane, we will have to take 2 or 3 trains !

But what I really dreaded is the mad rush in these narrow airplane aisles, with people pushing, bags all over - many tripping hazards,.... !

Trains won't be as bad.

If everything goes as planned - he won't need assistance for the way back to the States.

Thanks for confirming what I thought I understood reading that thread.

Really useful.
He'll be comfortably seated before the scrum rushes on board!

Upon arrival, chances are he'll be asked to wait to be last, so there won't be any pushing/shoving.
On occasion, the wheelchair is not right at the airplane door, but might be up at the gate area. For those who cannot walk that far, they'll bring the wheelchair back down to the door. (There are other ways to help someone ON the plane, buy your DH won't need that.)

They should be able to push him through immigrations/customs/baggage claim, and out to a taxi or such.
Do tip them (both USA and overseas), especially if the person is especially helpful and/or spends a lot of time with you/him.
There has only been one airport in the USA that we have encountered that used to have assistants who refused, and only for one airline. (They were local execs who volunteered, and... "you get what you pay for", ahem... They "volunteered" in exchange for travel, it turned out. That program ended, thank goodness!)

GC
Old Oct 8, 19, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple View Post
... There are other ways to help someone ON the plane....
with pre-boarding, he wouldn't even need a wheel chair if we do like when we go shopping: I walk ahead and mention possible obstacles - he has not run over anybody with his shopping cart [yet !]
Old Oct 8, 19, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by femuse View Post
with pre-boarding, he wouldn't even need a wheel chair if we do like when we go shopping: I walk ahead and mention possible obstacles - he has not run over anybody with his shopping cart [yet !]
There have been times when I needed a wheelchair.

All I can say is... we've decided that IF I need help, we WILL keep that wheelchair and ask that it be used for that last lap down the jetway.
Reason?
Because otherwise, it's ended up that someone says, "Oh, we're not quite ready yet... just stand over there.." Well, IF I could STAND, I wouldn't have needed a wheelchair (different situation from yours, but the end result could be the same).
And then? Suddenly I'm forgotten and boarding starts, and I'm still standing where they told us, and DH tries to get through the scrum to remind them, and I'm getting pushed around... and it goes downhill fast. And worse for me, there is never any place for me to sit. And IF I sit on the floor, I'd be run over by the stampede (and I'm not really exaggerating; I'm sure you've seen some boarding frenzies like that). So I'm flattened standing up against a wall trying to prop myself up without too, too much pain, and without getting trampled... (Grrrr!)

Staying in that wheelchair is a very direct signal for them to help your DH on FIRST, before chaos (controlled or not) ensues.
We learned that the hard way. After 3 tries, in various airports, we agreed, "never again!".

The times I tried to limp down to the plane? Twice, the herd was "let loose too soon", and there I was, 2/3 or so down toward the plane, and those people who just HAD TO BE FIRST started bumping into me one after another. No more!
(To be "fair", some of them probably could not even see me, as they rushed behind the others...!)

Just let them help you and your husband the regular way they ordinarily help wheelchair travelers. You are entitled to it; that's what they have that service for.
That is the way "they" are used to dealing with someone needing assistance. Let them help you "their way"

Maybe you'd have a better experience, but I don't recommend trying. It doesn't work all of the time.......

GC
Old Oct 9, 19, 5:25 am

Programs: Ritz platinum, Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
for deplaning once you are there:
AmEx for certain cards has free meet and greet where they zip you through employee/state depts lane
I think it costs $100 or so otherwise, but it is a wonderful way for you to bypass the crowds
Old Oct 9, 19, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by knownothing View Post
for deplaning once you are there:
AmEx for certain cards has free meet and greet where they zip you through employee/state depts lane
I think it costs $100 or so otherwise, but it is a wonderful way for you to bypass the crowds
Interesting! This would be terrific help, but I can't see them offering this to too many cardholders...

Which Amex cards offer this?

GC
Old Oct 9, 19, 6:53 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Silver, HHonor Gold
He'll be comfortably seated before the scrum rushes on board!

Upon arrival, chances are he'll be asked to wait to be last, so there won't be any pushing/shoving.
On occasion, the wheelchair is not right at the airplane door, but might be up at the gate area. For those who cannot walk that far, they'll bring the wheelchair back down to the door. (There are other ways to help someone ON the plane, buy your DH won't need that.)

They should be able to push him through immigrations/customs/baggage claim, and out to a taxi or such.
Do tip them (both USA and overseas), especially if the person is especially helpful and/or spends a lot of time with you/him.
There has only been one airport in the USA that we have encountered that used to have assistants who refused, and only for one airline. (They were local execs who volunteered, and... "you get what you pay for", ahem... They "volunteered" in exchange for travel, it turned out. That program ended, thank goodness!)

GC
Do NOT tip overseas if the country culture is not to tip. In most of Europe this is not an offered service but a legal obligation of the airport to provide such assistance. Tip is not expected and tipping for this can embarass the service provider or create an expectation where none exist. Please do not bring your culture here assuming it is OK.
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:02 am

Programs: Ritz platinum, Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
I
Which Amex cards offer this?
GC
I think right now it is only for centurian cards with business or first class tickets. But there are multiple others that do it.
I used https://meridianvip.us/ when my 13 yo daughter flew to NY by herself - and then back to Paris. and when her church group (4 of them) went to Israel when they graduated. There site says they are very good if you are disabled. They wist you through the diplomatic lane

Search this Thread