Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Requesting Prebaord with a Peanut Allergy on United

Old Jan 7, 19, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys, so I'm traveling for the first time with a friend who has a peanut allergy. He was planning on being able to preboard in order to wipe down his seat area for precautionary reasons, but since I'm managing his trip, he asked me to request that for him. My problem is that I can't find any option on United's site to request preboard for such reason, I know other airlines do it, so how could I do such thing with United?
Old Jan 13, 19, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Women Travelers and Disability Travel

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...allergies.aspx

Customers with food allergies

United is committed to the safety of its customers, including customers with major food allergies. United does not serve pre-packaged peanuts on our flights. However, we prepare and serve meals and snacks utilizing a variety of other ingredients including major food allergens.

Due to the presence of food allergens in the processing environment and in meals and snacks served, United cannot guarantee an allergen-free meal or environment on its flights. Further, it is not possible to prevent customers from bringing food items on board that contain major food allergens including peanuts. If you have concerns about a severe food allergy, please notify a flight attendant on board the aircraft. In some cases, we may be able to pass along your request to other customers seated nearby to refrain from opening and eating any allergen-containing products they may have brought on board.

For operational reasons, we cannot remove any onboard products based on individual customer requests, and we do not offer allergen-free buffer zones on our aircraft. Since we cannot guarantee allergen-free flights, we encourage customers to review any health concerns with their physicians prior to flying.
Old Jan 14, 19, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by itripreport View Post
Hey guys, so I'm traveling for the first time with a friend who has a peanut allergy. He was planning on being able to preboard in order to wipe down his seat area for precautionary reasons, but since I'm managing his trip, he asked me to request that for him. My problem is that I can't find any option on United's site to request preboard for such reason, I know other airlines do it, so how could I do such thing with United?
You can probably ask at the gate, but why can't he wipe down his seat during regular boarding?
Old Yesterday, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mat123 View Post
You can probably ask at the gate, but why can't he wipe down his seat during regular boarding?
Wiping it down would mean a delay in taking his seat because he's going to do it before sitting in it. I can see why preboard might make sense, like families with little kids.