Wiki Posts
Search

Broken Leg

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Broken Leg

H guys, hope you can help.

I’m hope to fly from Edinburgh to Da Nang in 2 weeks’ time, this will be 8 weeks post operation (broke my tibia and fibula just above my ankle) My cast will be removed and I may have a support boot on, will not know for definite till I see the doctor 2 days before I fly. I have spoken to Etihad if they have any issues and there is none as long as I can get up and down stairs. Have any of use been in the same position and can you recommend anything to make the journey more comfortable.

Thanks

Hoggie.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Depending on your recuperation you may want to use a wheelchair service for two reasons. Firstly, to reduce stress on your healing leg which can keep your leg from swelling a bit during travel and for early boarding onto the plane which you can do without the wheelchair service also. This will allow you to not have to rush during boarding, less chance of someone inadvertently hitting your ankle and getting yourself situated. Wheelchair service can also be arranged at connecting airports which brings me to the next topic.

Etihad doesn't fly directly to DAD airport so I am assuming you'd connect on EY to BKK and then take a codeshare flight on Bangkok Airways to DAD. I would suggest a one connection flight if possible but if you've already purchased your flights it's not too bad. Assuming flying in economy the A330 from EDI-AUH had 2x4x2 seating so I'd suggest requesting a bulkhead seat in the 2x section preferably the window seat to limit the potential of your ankle getting hit. This would also allow you to elevate your foot if needed. You can also ask your doctor about wearing a compression sock during the flights to prevent swelling if your healing is not advanced. On the AUH-BKK you'll most likely be on a 77W which also does have bulkhead seats but in 3x seating. Farther back in the plane the seats taper to 2x3x2 which could be easier as you would only have one seat partner which makes getting in and out at boarding/deboarding & use of the lav easier. The last flights on Bangkok Airways is short but they do have extra legroom seats. I don't think they'd let you sit in the exit row but maybe in one of their premier seats can be purchased.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Jun 26, 2018 at 1:32 pm Reason: autocorrect corrections.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Yoshi212,
Your correct in saying I'm on a 2 stopper, I thinks it's 7hours, 6 hour and 13/4 hours not to bad. Last year we stopped off in Hong Kong which was 13 hours. Thanks for the information, I will be in contact with Etihad for a wheelchair.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'm going to move this thread to our traveling with disabilities forum, where you're likely to get more responses.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Hoggie
H guys, hope you can help.

I’m hope to fly from Edinburgh to Da Nang in 2 weeks’ time, this will be 8 weeks post operation (broke my tibia and fibula just above my ankle) My cast will be removed and I may have a support boot on, will not know for definite till I see the doctor 2 days before I fly. I have spoken to Etihad if they have any issues and there is none as long as I can get up and down stairs. Have any of use been in the same position and can you recommend anything to make the journey more comfortable.

Thanks

Hoggie.
I flew transcon US 8 weeks after knee surgery, and it was extremely painful between the swelling while flying and the challenge of crutches. Are you certain your doctor thinks it is safe for you to make the trip? Mine had concerns about possible blood clots and the trip was much shorter than yours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.