Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Airlines who charge for wheelchair service in Asia (Air Asia, etc)

Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

As I’ve had more trouble walking long distance in the last couple of years, I have started having a wheelchair service if there is a lot of walking or extended standing times.

In the ten times I’ve used the service (US, France, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Japan and Indonesia) I’ve never been charged a fee, but have tipped the attendant.

I have some LCC trips within Asia in April, and will flying Air Asia in Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam and Sri Lanka. I notice that Air Asia is charging about $7-8 per segment for wheelchair service. There are exemptions for paraplegics and those with a disability card. While I have had a temporary handicap in the past, it expired while out of the country, and haven’t gotten a new one since.

I’m not overly concerned with the fees, but wondered how others have dealt with Air Asia, and the quality of the service. I would also be fine with a buggy/golf cart type service. I can manage the airstairs, and distances of 50-75 meters as long as there is no extended standing.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
I can't comment too much on Asian airlines. My only Asian experiences were with Bangkok Airlines (domestic) and Cathay pacific (HKG--BKK and BKK-SIN) who did not charge me anything

However, since you mention European destinations, be assured that no EU carrier should charge you for assistance, this is EU law

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.