Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

The experience of traveling on a commercial aircraft with a wheelchair.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Hi, I would greatly appreciate it if any of you with experience in this area would give me some insight into it, weather it is good or bad experiences you've had. Thank you!

Last edited by CiaraC; Nov 4, 2017 at 8:14 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA,HH, MR, IHG, UAL, DL,
I have had good and bad experiences in my extensive domestic (US) travel for both business and pleasure. Some keys to look out for is to notify the airlines early that you are traveling with a wheelchair. They should have someone from Special Services or Disability Services contact you at least 24 hours before the flight to get information about you, your wheelchair and your travel plans. If they do not contact you, I would definitely call the airline reservations desk and ask to speak to someone. Know the type of aircraft you are scheduled to fly on and make sure to know the features that you need specific to your disability. Allow for extra time getting through the airport if you are connecting flights. I signed up for a frequent flier account for all major airlines in the US years ago because it seems to me that the airlines take a little extra care of those who are a part of their frequent flier programs. It also makes it easier when there is an issue that comes up to get it resolved. Make sure that you tell the airline and the baggage handlers how to deal with your wheelchair and if it folds or not. Actually have someone fold the chair on the jetway before you are separated from your wheelchair so that there is less chance of damage. Get to your gate early and let the gate agent know again if you need assistance getting on and off the aircraft. Make sure you pack in your carry on anything that you will need medically during the flight in case of delays.

If you have additional questions, feel free to message me privately as I am more than happy to assist.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:27 am

Always make sure you disassemble the wheelchair before taking flight.I have a foldable wheelchair which i travel with a lot.Never had a problem yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.