FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Disability Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel-224/)
-   -   Travelling with injured toe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel/1883753-travelling-injured-toe.html)

madeleinesmith455 Dec 20, 2017 6:11 am

Travelling with injured toe

Looking for some advice.
I'm getting a long haul flight tomorrow (14 hours) and just some minor surgery on an infected toenail. It's quite painful at the moment but I can walk on it.
My feet often swell on long haul flights. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?
Does anyone have any other tips to find some comfort on this flight?
Many thanks in advance for any advice given.

Yoshi212 Dec 20, 2017 8:01 am

Show up early to the airport and see if the Check-in agent will take pity on you and give you a seat with good legroom so you can stretch out & avoid having your foot hit by others.
What airline are you traveling on? Do they have a premium economy section, assuming you're traveling in economy, or an extra legroom section that can be purchased at a reasonable rate?

Speak with your doctor to find out if taking an NSAID (Ibuprofen/naproxen/aspirin) before and during the flight to make sure it's appropriate for with any medications you're on and/or your current situation. NSAIDs reduce inflammation and can also thin blood which can help with the swelling but aren't appropriate for everyone in every situation.

Often1 Dec 20, 2017 8:28 am

Speak with your physician regarding long-haul air travel. If you are experiencing swelling at ground level, the results at high altitude can present a significant medical risk.

If you are cleared, be careful about what you say to any air carrier employee. Especially for long-haul, they are trained to seek medical assurances ---- usually through their own in-house or contracted medical service ---- that you are "fit to fly." A medical diversion on a long-haul flight may be dangerous or not possible.

84fiero Dec 20, 2017 9:28 am

Bring along a small empty ziplock baggie. Once underway ask the FA nicely if you could have a cup of ice as you have a sore spot on your toe. Dump the ice into the baggie then you can ice it up for a bit. Repeat periodically during flight.

ponickka Dec 20, 2017 11:03 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 29197378)
Bring along a small empty ziplock baggie. Once underway ask the FA nicely if you could have a cup of ice as you have a sore spot on your toe. Dump the ice into the baggie then you can ice it up for a bit. Repeat periodically during flight.

Great idea!!!

chgoeditor Dec 20, 2017 3:03 pm

If you haven't already, invest in some shoes with an extra wide toe box. I broke a toe shortly before a trip to Morocco, and was so happy to have invested in a pair of clogs. Even just walking through the airport can involve significant distances, so a good pair of comfortable walking shoes is essential.

wrp96 Dec 20, 2017 3:05 pm

For the swelling, consider wearing compression stockings. Also, drink plenty of non-carbonated, non-alcoholic beverages. Get up and walk around frequently. Do not cross your legs.

Often1 Dec 20, 2017 3:16 pm

Here's another piece of medical advice.

Don't take medical advice from people who may or may not be docs., but are posting on an anonymous internet social media site !

WorldLux Dec 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by madeleinesmith455 (Post 29196692)
Looking for some advice.
I'm getting a long haul flight tomorrow (14 hours) and just some minor surgery on an infected toenail. It's quite painful at the moment but I can walk on it.
My feet often swell on long haul flights. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?
Does anyone have any other tips to find some comfort on this flight?
Many thanks in advance for any advice given.

Ask the treating doctor...

beckoa Dec 21, 2017 11:53 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk @madeleinesmith455. Sorry to hear about your condition.

For further guidance, we're moving your thread to another forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk