Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Are there any transit apps that route only from/to accessible stations?

Are there any transit apps that route only from/to accessible stations?

Reply

Old Nov 28, 17, 7:29 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA
Programs: This game has lost its luster.
Posts: 6,621
Question Are there any transit apps that route only from/to accessible stations?

I am currently Chicago trip planning and have got all the sights I want to see favorited on my Google Maps app. Frustratingly, when I search for directions, I have to toggle back and forth between CTA's accessible stations list and the app to see if they've plotted me to land at a station without an elevator. I've got the accessible stations marked with a heart on the map app, but when searching for directions, all of the favorite marks are invisible. I really wish Google would add Accessible to the Options list along with Best Route, Fewer Transfers, and Less Walking.

I have the app Transit installed on my phone which works fine in states/cities which have all accessible stations, but for cities like NYC and Chicago, I've ended up a time or two precariously struggling down long, steep flights of stairs.

On internet search, I found RollWithMe app and submitted my name and email address for an invitation. Have any of you ever heard of it or used it? http://rollwithmeapp.com/

Are there any apps which show/route accessibility?
boxo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 17, 4:05 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 16
I'm not aware of any apps that do this unfortunately, although it would be very useful. Sometimes the individual transit providers website offers this functionality though (such as Transport for London). Apple Maps also includes the location of steps, elevators and the like, but you have to zoom in to each station to see. It also doesn't include information on whether the elevators are working, or connections (older cities like London sometimes have stations that are accessible only if you're connecting, or on certain lines etc).

Unfortunately it seems there's quite a lot of work to do in this area. IIRC Google have added accessibility information to quite a lot of Maps recently, maybe they'll expand it to Maps as well.
cat0 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 18, 8:20 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8
I don't know of any app that incorporates this feature.

In the GTFS (General Transit Feed Specification) file that transit agencies produce for Google to incorporate their routes into Google Map's directions there is a setting for if a stop is wheelchair accessible or not. Most major transit agencies should have this setting used, but some small-city systems don't bother with it.

An app for accessible transit routes should be technically feasible now.
Zmapper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 18, 8:29 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA
Programs: This game has lost its luster.
Posts: 6,621
Ack, I will be in NYC next week and route planning is such a PITA. One thing I noticed is Chicago station listings on Google Maps has a wheelchair symbol if there is an elevator, but NYC stations do not subscribe to that courtesy.

One of these days, I need to sit down and contact transit authorities and make some serious suggestions AND/OR I need to learn how to develop apps.
boxo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 18, 5:54 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Posts: 644
Originally Posted by boxo View Post
Ack, I will be in NYC next week and route planning is such a PITA. One thing I noticed is Chicago station listings on Google Maps has a wheelchair symbol if there is an elevator, but NYC stations do not subscribe to that courtesy.
The MTA's map of the subway system and maps of individual lines do have the wheelchair symbol: mta.info MTA Neighborhood Maps. It's not clear from the maps which part(s) of the station is accessible, so look here for narrative: mta.info Accessibility, though due to the complexity of some of the stations it's still not always easy to figure out exactly what's accessible.

All buses have wheelchair ramps (assuming they're working), but buses can be slow.
boxo likes this.
Giggleswick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 18, 2:12 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: IAD
Programs: United MP
Posts: 7,149
Washington DC Metro accessibility info: https://www.wmata.com/service/accessibility/
Everything is accessible. The mobile site has a link to check for elevator outages. Those are the only thing that would make a station inaccessible.
boxo likes this.
DeafFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 18, 10:09 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA
Programs: This game has lost its luster.
Posts: 6,621
Having just returned from my 3rd or 4th trip ever to NYC, I found that subway + time spent wandering/looking for street and underground elevators equaled time spent riding buses. My dad was with me and I enjoyed the above ground scenery and pointing out him landmarks, shops, restaurants, etc. We got lucky with a Limited downtown bus one day. Express bus lines will be something to study for the next trip.

Thanks to each of you for your comments and tips.
boxo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 18, 12:19 pm
  #8  
Moderator: Women Travelers and Disability Travel
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: DEN
Posts: 1,919
There are some crowd sourced apps, of varying quality and completeness.
https://www.axsmap.com/
AccessNow - pin-pointing accessibility worldwide
https://www.wheelog.com/hp/ (Japanese)
https://wheelmap.org/ (German)

Edited to add: I forgot to mention Chicago's Easy Access guide, which is a model for other cities: http://easyaccesschicago.org/
And here is an article from the Guardian showing accessible stations only for London, Paris, Barcelona, New York, Los Angeles, Tokyo, and Washington DC: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...everyone-elses

Last edited by Katja; Feb 24, 18 at 12:36 pm
Katja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 18, 6:49 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA
Programs: This game has lost its luster.
Posts: 6,621
Thanks again to all for posting helpful info and links.

I am going to London later this year for the very first time. It's a struggle trying to find a hotel that fits my budget AND has nearby accessible stations. I've had a heck of a time poring over TfL's Step-free stations map, trying to learn what all the colors and symbols mean. I think I've decided on Ibis Budget Whitechapel at < US$88 total per night with 3 nearby stations - Whitechapel, Aldgate East, and Aldgate - of which none are step-free. But at least there's a bus stop out front.
boxo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 18, 5:11 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: priority club
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by boxo View Post
Thanks again to all for posting helpful info and links.

I am going to London later this year for the very first time. It's a struggle trying to find a hotel that fits my budget AND has nearby accessible stations. I've had a heck of a time poring over TfL's Step-free stations map, trying to learn what all the colors and symbols mean. I think I've decided on Ibis Budget Whitechapel at < US$88 total per night with 3 nearby stations - Whitechapel, Aldgate East, and Aldgate - of which none are step-free. But at least there's a bus stop out front.
You will be close to the new Crossrail Whitechapel station which will offer step free access but isn't scheduled to open until December 2018 Whitechapel station - Crossrail

The TFL map is complex but there are so many factors that need to be considered including access from street, access to train and ability to change between different lines. All of which may vary by direction of travel. Much of the infrastructure is Victorian when accessibility was not a consideration.

Bus is probably best option but can be crowded at peak times

$88 is cheap for a London hotel but IBIS is a major budget chain, also look at Travellodge and Premier Inn both of which have cheap advance booking promotions.

Good luck
boxo likes this.
mymsman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 18, 8:34 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA
Programs: This game has lost its luster.
Posts: 6,621
Originally Posted by mymsman View Post
You will be close to the new Crossrail Whitechapel station which will offer step free access but isn't scheduled to open until December 2018 Whitechapel station - Crossrail

The TFL map is complex but there are so many factors that need to be considered including access from street, access to train and ability to change between different lines. All of which may vary by direction of travel. Much of the infrastructure is Victorian when accessibility was not a consideration.

Bus is probably best option but can be crowded at peak times

$88 is cheap for a London hotel but IBIS is a major budget chain, also look at Travellodge and Premier Inn both of which have cheap advance booking promotions.

Good luck
Thank you very much for this new station information. I will be in London 6-11 December. Fingers crossed it will be up and running by then, but if not I don't mind buses. Actually, I appreciate the above-ground views more, especially if I am in a city for the first time.

I have looked at Premier Inn and Travelodge. The most affordable properties are also around the Aldgate stations. Not near US$88 per night in flexible rates, but my plan is to regularly check for other options. Maybe they have promotions?
boxo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 18, 5:49 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: priority club
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by boxo View Post
I have looked at Premier Inn and Travelodge. The most affordable properties are also around the Aldgate stations. Not near US$88 per night in flexible rates, but my plan is to regularly check for other options. Maybe they have promotions?
Promotions are usually for advance purchase non-refundable rooms at around 35 outside Central London, 59 in London for booking 3-4 months in advance, Sign up on the company sites for emails, but if you see a good flexible rate book it quick because you can cancel if you see a better deal later.
Whitechapel is one of the cheapest properties on the Monopoly board - but things and prices have changed a lot since the game was created.
mymsman is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: