Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

looking for rental of mini van with hand controls

Old Oct 24, 17, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAA

Hi! I need some help on a long term rental, four months of a mini van with hand controls. All of the big companies refuse to put hand controls on a mini van.
Does anyone know of a company which will do that. I am in a wheelchair and dependent on this rental.
thx
Old Oct 25, 17, 3:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
May want to look for a specialized local company that rents minivans with hand controls. Or try this website: http://www.accessiblevans.com/hand-controls

As an aside, I don't understand why the majors stopped doing hand controls in minvans a few years ago. Heard a claim it was because of airbags, but that doesn't seem to make sense as most vehicles have airbags. Anyone know why they stopped?

It's very frustrating because now if you want a vehicle big enough for a wheelchair and luggage, you have to get an SUV, which is much more expensive than a minivan (maybe that's the reason right there).
Old Oct 25, 17, 8:47 am

Programs: United MP
I don't know if you can rent for the length of time that you want, but here's a place to check: http://www.wheelchairgetaways.com
Old Oct 25, 17, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP (OW Emerarld), AS 75K
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer View Post
I don't know if you can rent for the length of time that you want, but here's a place to check: http://www.wheelchairgetaways.com
Wheelchair getaways is a great company with a franchise in just about every major city in the US and I believe they do offer long-term rentals most places. I've used them many times traveling and my only complaint is there a relatively high delivery/drop-off charges to get the car at the airport as their offices are often way out in a warehouse area far from the airport or business district.

Another company that I have been using quite often is Mobility Works, mobilityworks.com that has bought up many of the smaller van conversion companies nationwide so not only did they do full van conversions and service, they also rent vans.
Old Oct 28, 17, 2:27 pm
Moderator: Women Travelers and Disability Travel

Portable hand controls.
Old Oct 31, 17, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Katja View Post
Portable hand controls.
I have a set and have tried them but you really need some time to practice.

Where is it that you will need them? Sometimes it would just make sense to drive to your destination with your own vehicle.