Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

British Airways Failure to provide requested wheelchair

British Airways Failure to provide requested wheelchair

Old Oct 17, 17, 11:10 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer View Post
Oh I see. In that case: Airlines do have to fix damages they cause. In the case of international flights, though, I understand there is a maximum amount they will pay. Damages above that would be your problem.

I remember a guy saying he would take photos of his chair, with that day's newspaper, at the airport, proving that everything was fine before the airline got their claws on it.
Be careful & lower your expectations. Airlines have fine print on their side. I had a new nice bag . It came out with a broken handle. Was told we do not cover wheels & handles ! I did not fight it as it would take too long to escalate. A wheelchair is "more vunerable".
The photo idea is good supporting evidence if you have to file a legal claim.
Old Oct 17, 17, 11:26 am
Moderator: Women Travelers and Disability Travel

Oh I see. In that case: Airlines do have to fix damages they cause. In the case of international flights, though, I understand there is a maximum amount they will pay. Damages above that would be your problem.

I remember a guy saying he would take photos of his chair, with that day's newspaper, at the airport, proving that everything was fine before the airline got their claws on it.
And then there's the logistical issue. If using a walker isn't an option, and the airline has destroyed a custom built wheelchair, what are you going to do in the interim? Generally the airline will pay for a rental, but that's going to be a depot/hospital type chair, which doesn't allow for nearly the mobility that a custom chair does.
Old Oct 17, 17, 3:54 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Katja View Post
And then there's the logistical issue. If using a walker isn't an option, and the airline has destroyed a custom built wheelchair, what are you going to do in the interim? Generally the airline will pay for a rental, but that's going to be a depot/hospital type chair, which doesn't allow for nearly the mobility that a custom chair does.
I have no experience. All I have to go on is other's stories I have read in the past. My understanding, though, is that in the US, you can demand more from the airline than a hospital type chair if it does not meet your needs. That is what I read, though. I hope it never happens to me. I'm not sure about the EU.
Old Oct 17, 17, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS View Post
Be careful & lower your expectations. Airlines have fine print on their side. I had a new nice bag . It came out with a broken handle. Was told we do not cover wheels & handles ! I did not fight it as it would take too long to escalate. A wheelchair is "more vunerable".
The photo idea is good supporting evidence if you have to file a legal claim.
The Air Carrier Access Act says only the below. That is what I expect.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...e14.4.382_1131

382.131 Do baggage liability limits apply to mobility aids and other assistive devices?

With respect to transportation to which 14 CFR part 254 applies, the limits to liability for loss, damage, or delay concerning wheelchairs or other assistive devices provided in part 254 do not apply. The basis for calculating the compensation for a lost, damaged, or destroyed wheelchair or other assistive device shall be the original purchase price of the device.
Old Oct 19, 17, 1:43 pm

The Air Carrier Access Act says only the below. That is what I expect.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...e14.4.382_1131
Thanks. I Should learn to read all the fine print. Indeed good to know.
Old Oct 25, 17, 11:29 pm

What do you mean about bringing your own chair being expensive? I always bring my own for free.
It's really expensive= I spent a lot to buy the chair.
I see what you mean, it could be read both ways!
Old Oct 27, 17, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by wmweeza View Post
It's really expensive= I spent a lot to buy the chair.
I see what you mean, it could be read both ways!
I get it now. Yeah, my chair, which has few custom parts, cost $8000. I can imagine others chairs cost a lot more.
Old Oct 27, 17, 11:18 am

I get it now. Yeah, my chair, which has few custom parts, cost $8000. I can imagine others chairs cost a lot more.
If I had to take such expensive equipment, I would buy a totally separate private insurance. Of course no guarantees it can be repaired or replaced at destination.