Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page > Stavanger airport: handluggage checks on arrival (medication)

Stavanger airport: handluggage checks on arrival (medication)

Old Sep 4, 17, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Stavanger airport: handluggage checks on arrival (medication)

Hello all,

please move to appropriate forum if needed. Delete if against rules.

I'm interested in figuring out how to get an essential medication from an EU country into Norway. In pretty much all of Europe it's considered a harmless vitamin (injectable B12) that can be bought over the counter but in Norway it's a medication. Treatment of deficiency in Norway via GPs is insufficient, which results in further nerve damage. The same is true in my current country of residence, but self-treatment is encouraged. As such I cannot get a doctor's note. If send by parcel B12 will most likely be intercepted and destroyed by customs. Thus only way is in hand- or hold luggage. Given the duration of the stay I'm thinking of 20 ampoules, which could theoretically be transported in the usual hand luggage liquid bags. So far I never had a problems at security checks with that when going on vacation.

Any comments, suggestions and other ideas?

edit:

Last edited by romana2; Sep 4, 17 at 9:37 am Reason: email notification
Old Sep 4, 17, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge 2018 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Pure AS MVP Gold75K, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we relocate your query.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Sep 5, 17, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

No-one?
Old Sep 11, 17, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I have never been stopped by customs when entering Norway coming from another EU country.
Old Sep 11, 17, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot bhomburg. There's no handluggage scanner when arriving in Stavanger, right? It's been a long time since I've been there last.
Old Sep 12, 17, 3:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge 2018 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: OW Sapphire (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Gold
No there are no hand luggage scanner there.
I lived in Stavanger for 8 years, I was stopped once by custom so your chances are low. Nevertheless there is a risk to be stopped so I would consider going to your GP and explaining you need a letter as you are travelling to a country where import is regulated
Old Sep 13, 17, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fransknorge View Post
No there are no hand luggage scanner there.
I lived in Stavanger for 8 years, I was stopped once by custom so your chances are low. Nevertheless there is a risk to be stopped so I would consider going to your GP and explaining you need a letter as you are travelling to a country where import is regulated
Thanks a lot mate. I really couldn't remember. This sounds good enough. Worth a little risk.

My GP unfortunately can't help. If you have a poor GP you get a shot every three months* or get taken off the necessary medication and end up disabled sooner or later (not joking). If you have a good GP he'll suggest you buy your own medication via Amazon for example. He cannot give a prescription and hence cannot write a note that you need it in this country. But if all fails I can fly to my home country, see a GP there and get a prescription and note.

----

*B12 in your blood is only useful for 1-2 days depending on type. You're basically left untreated for a long time, depending on how much your body manages to convert in these 1-2 days, and considering many deficient people also have conversion problems (not me) they are in trouble.
Old Sep 13, 17, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by romana2 View Post
Thanks a lot mate. I really couldn't remember. This sounds good enough. Worth a little risk.

My GP unfortunately can't help. If you have a poor GP you get a shot every three months* or get taken off the necessary medication and end up disabled sooner or later (not joking). If you have a good GP he'll suggest you buy your own medication via Amazon for example. He cannot give a prescription and hence cannot write a note that you need it in this country. But if all fails I can fly to my home country, see a GP there and get a prescription and note.

----

*B12 in your blood is only useful for 1-2 days depending on type. You're basically left untreated for a long time, depending on how much your body manages to convert in these 1-2 days, and considering many deficient people also have conversion problems (not me) they are in trouble.
They can't even write a letter for travel? It's not like they are authorizing the government to pay for anything.

(And what country's medical system are we talking about anyway??)
Old Sep 30, 17, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by romana2 View Post
Hello all,

I'm interested in figuring out how to get an essential medication from an EU country into Norway. In pretty much all of Europe it's considered a harmless vitamin (injectable B12) that can be bought over the counter but in Norway it's a medication. Treatment of deficiency in Norway via GPs is insufficient, which results in further nerve damage. The same is true in my current country of residence, but self-treatment is encouraged. As such I cannot get a doctor's note. If send by parcel B12 will most likely be intercepted and destroyed by customs. Thus only way is in hand- or hold luggage. Given the duration of the stay I'm thinking of 20 ampoules, which could theoretically be transported in the usual hand luggage liquid bags. So far I never had a problems at security checks with that when going on vacation.

Any comments, suggestions and other ideas?
I've been on high dose Vit B-12 for 15 years to treat deficiency/malabsoption. My personal experience is that *for me* the oral supplements are cheaper and more effective than the shots. Have you tried them? It's much easier to travel with pills than injectable medications.
Old Sep 30, 17, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
I've been on high dose Vit B-12 for 15 years to treat deficiency/malabsoption. My personal experience is that *for me* the oral supplements are cheaper and more effective than the shots. Have you tried them? It's much easier to travel with pills than injectable medications.
Yes of course. My neurological problems worsened a lot during that time. If you cannot absorb B12 from food, then taking pills via the same route doesn't do enough if you already have neurological damage as the amount absorbed is far too low to repair the damage and prevent further damage. I wish it would work for me, but it doesn't. With shots every second day for 2 months, followed by slowly increasing intervals I'm finally healthy again after three years of misery; provided I get a shot every three weeks.

Search this Thread