Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Traveling with medical supplies--what are the rules?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Other than allowing a bit of extra time it's not been a big problem in the past but this time Hainan airlines (departing PVG) denied us.

It ended up being cheaper to leave a few things with her relatives and allow some stuff in the bag to out-date before we get back there than to pay the $200 they wanted to bring it home.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
It depends on where you're flying more so than the specific airline, and also what you're trying to take with you and why.

I took 3 months of prescription and OTC meds from the US to England via Iceland with no issues, as well as a portable nebulizer (it's always with me) and a TENS unit. For that trip, I carried copies of prescriptions, letter from doctors with conditions/medicine names, as well as the contact numbers. Had no issues.

Usually I travel with several necessary meds and a nebuliser.

Some countries will not allow certain medications in them at all, regardless of whether or not you have prescriptions or doctor's notes. In some cases, you have to get a letter from an embassy. It's a case by case basis on what you're trying to take with you and where and from where.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AStarr
It depends on where you're flying more so than the specific airline, and also what you're trying to take with you and why.

I took 3 months of prescription and OTC meds from the US to England via Iceland with no issues, as well as a portable nebulizer (it's always with me) and a TENS unit. For that trip, I carried copies of prescriptions, letter from doctors with conditions/medicine names, as well as the contact numbers. Had no issues.

Usually I travel with several necessary meds and a nebuliser.

Some countries will not allow certain medications in them at all, regardless of whether or not you have prescriptions or doctor's notes. In some cases, you have to get a letter from an embassy. It's a case by case basis on what you're trying to take with you and where and from where.
No, I'm talking about when you have bulky enough stuff you need an extra bag for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.