Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Wheelchair attendant tipping etiquette

Wheelchair attendant tipping etiquette

Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Following up my post #15 , my next trips will include:
  • London Heathrow T3 and T5
  • Zurich
  • Helsinki
  • Doha
  • Johannesburg
  • Cape Town

Any thoughts as to whether/how much to tip?

I probably wouldn't have contemplated tipping without this thread!

Many thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:53 pm

tipping for wheelchair services

Originally Posted by davie355
In most circumstances I advocate tipping in line with the norm, but when the service is a right and not a privilege, I advocate tipping $0.

If the service is a right, then contributing to a culture in which tipping is expected will disproportionately harm lower-income travelers and foreign travelers who may come from a culture where no tipping exists at all.

There remains the question of subsistence for the employee. A $15 minimum wage is already in effect at some US airports. If you really care about the employees, I recommend supporting broader living-wage legislation, rather than shifting the burden onto travelers who may be no better-off themselves.

Also - to be clear I respect anonymity on this site. But every user's post history is public. Every indication from the post history of Often1 is that he is a man of extraordinary wealth. Two kids flying paid first class; Amex Centurion with waived fees (which must mean he is a VIP customer even among Centurion cardholders). He has admitted to lavish spending on hotel food and beverage. I'm not trying to attack anybody or their wealth, just giving context to advice such as "$10+" tip.
if you can’t afford to tip then you probably can’t afford a flight!! I know for a fact these wheelchair attendants make less than minimum wage and rely on tips!! Suppose you had to support your family on these wages!! Could you? No!! The same people who complain about tipping complain about people on welfare!! If employers paid a decent wage then we wouldn’t have to worry about tipping at atlast I knew wheelchairs have wheels and you can push yourself. It is a service and they need to be tipped accordingly!!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Kj1963

if you can’t afford to tip then you probably can’t afford a flight!! I know for a fact these wheelchair attendants make less than minimum wage and rely on tips!! Suppose you had to support your family on these wages!! Could you? No!! The same people who complain about tipping complain about people on welfare!! If employers paid a decent wage then we wouldn’t have to worry about tipping at atlast I knew wheelchairs have wheels and you can push yourself. It is a service and they need to be tipped accordingly!!
Disagree. Affording a ticket doesn't mean you can afford everything else, including tipping. Plenty of us on wheels live on disability. You might want to try living on that before preaching about low wages. If the wages are too low find another job. Not being able to find worker for current wages will force them to pay more for workers. Lastly, it is airlines/airport that is not paying the full cost. Go complain to them. At present, the wheelchair service is mandated by law. The airlines / airport must provide the service at no charge. As for your last sentence, everyone is not capable of pushing themselves. Some can, some can't. Go complain to the airlines for proper wages instead of trying to guilting others into paying you.
Roger, ThatAdamGuy, muji and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA,HH, MR, IHG, UAL, DL,
I tend not to tip at the airports because the only assistance I need is an aisle chair getting on and off the plane. Honestly I have had more issues with the staff that assists me on and off the plane before with things like slamming my shoulder into the aircraft door or one of the passenger seats as they are trying to get me to my seat. I never tip the person who takes my wheelchair from the jetway to the baggage area of the plane. Sadly, I have had more wheelchair damage done by this staff than I can count. Half the time they do not listen to me when I am trying to explain that I have a rigid frame chair that does not fold. I ALWAYS Gate Check my personal wheelchair and make sure it's brought to be at the airplane door. I don't ever let someone push me through the airport as I am more than capable to push myself and honestly I feel safer pushing myself than having someone do it for me. The only time I will ever offer a tip is if I am running between flight connections and someone assists me by carrying my carry on bags between gates so that I can push myself faster. I will tip the baggage handlers/skycaps that take my bags from the luggage carousel to my taxi or black car service that I am taking from the airport.
ThatAdamGuy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.