Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Adjacent passenger ask folks not to eat,,,,,would you oblige ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia

Women on last weeks MCO/LAX flight. First she asks people around her not to eat any dairy/wheat/fish products without letting her know as she is extremely allergic to those items And she asks if you did have to eat them to please wait till she can move elsewhere in the cabin (after seatbelt sign is turned off). Then tries to get the cabin crew involved-they are having none of it. She insist she flies every week and the crew has always madt announcements about her requests before( I notice that she has her carry on between her seat and the bulkhead and she is very put out by the crews instructing her to stow her carry-on)As we are deplaning she starts crazytalking to the fella behind her who quickly puts her on ignore.

So would you oblige her requests?

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Feb 5, 2016 at 12:55 pm
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Absolutely not. She sounds like an insane attention-seeker.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
In short He11 NO!!!!

but espcially He!! No if I'm running to the plane with food in hand for a 5 + hour transcon in Y..

too bad, I'm eating it
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
No. The only person that needs to make any accommodations for my personal allergies is me. It is not fair of me to expect others to do so - nor is it fair of her.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Women on last weeks MCO/LAX flight. First she asks people around her not to eat any dairy/wheat/fish products without letting her know as she is extremely allergic to those items And she asks if you did have to eat them to please wait till she can move elsewhere in the cabin (after seatbelt sign is turned off). Then tries to get the cabin crew involved-they are having none of it. She insist she flies every week and the crew has always madt announcements about her requests before( I notice that she has her carry on between her seat and the bulkhead and she is very put out by the crews instructing her to stow her carry-on)As we are deplaning she starts crazytalking to the fella behind her who quickly puts her on ignore.

No. And I would hope that the men in the white jackets were waiting to pick her up.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Best dealt with before the cabin door is closed. Once she's provided the crew with the horrible consequences of being exposed to your fish chowder, they've got a basis to offload her. A bit tough to do at FL 40.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
In short He11 NO!!!!

but espcially He!! No if I'm running to the plane with food in hand for a 5 + hour transcon in Y..

too bad, I'm eating it
This is exactly what the fella behind her told her,,,, well in a nicer way strange that she did not reach for her EpiPen when he started eating his sandwich.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

I can see how wheat may be an issue. But dairy, and fish aren't exactly airborne. And I've only heard of the announcement regarding peanuts. I would consider it if, and only if, she made accommodations for me to have something tasty.

Beyond that, not a chance. If she was snotty about it I would ask if they had a fish sandwich option.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Dumb question: are any fish, dairy, or wheat allergens transmitted through the air? I've only really heard this w.r.t. peanuts.

I'm happy to refrain from eating peanuts if I'm next to someone with a severe allergy. I like peanuts, but I respect the seriousness of that allergy (in some people), as well as the fact that there's an airborne risk associated with it. And avoiding peanuts is a reasonably niche request that I can accommodate fairly easily. It's not the same as "don't eat anything", which is what a dairy/wheat request basically is.

Even the people I know who are diagnosed with legitimate allergies to dairy, fish, or wheat aren't in mortal danger being around others who eat those things. They simply can't eat them themselves.
altabello likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
She may be wacko ... or not.

I would not refrain from eating (the same way I will not refrain from reclining!) but I will give her a chance to get up and move after the seat belt sign is turned off -- even if she has to go stand in the back of the plane.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
In short He11 NO!!!!

too bad, I'm eating it
Times a thousand. If she would have pulled that crap next to me I'd start munching on a double cheese pizza pie with whole wheat crust.

Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Seems like a lot of things to avoid . . .

Shouldn't she have warned the airline ahead of time?

I'm not sure if these things are airborne. I have a shellfish allergy, which is pretty serious, and I know that nothing I eat can touch anything that has touched shellfish. But it's not airborne, otherwise, I would not be able to fly. Have you noticed how much shellfish is used in airline meals? Chefs for the industry seem to think a little shrimp or a bit of lobster or a crab cake adds a touch of class to an otherwise bland airline meal. In my case, these things add a touch of death.
altabello likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Absolutely not. She sounds like an insane attention-seeker.
I won't say "absolutely not". But probably not.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:38 pm

Just a nut. Hope she doesn't have a nut allergy. Crazy talk is the clue.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm happy to refrain from eating peanuts if I'm next to someone with a severe allergy. I like peanuts, but I respect the seriousness of that allergy (in some people), as well as the fact that there's an airborne risk associated with it. And avoiding peanuts is a reasonably niche request that I can accommodate fairly easily.
Miss Swede thanks you. We do pre-board to wipe down the hard surfaces in our seats as well as ask the flight attendant make an announcement. Most FAs are happy to oblige. If we do see someone who ignores the request, we then kindly ask if they could refrain for eating them. Then we offer to replace their snack with something from our on-board pantry (like this trail mix) or a BoB purchase if it doesn't contain nuts. I'm glad to have not run into a difficult pax.

In other good news, Miss Swede passed a partial tree nut allergy test the other day. She can now eat almonds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.