Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Companion seating for disabled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Companion seating for disabled

Canada has a law passed that allows companions to fly for free with a disabled person. Are there any law firms that are working to pass something like this here in the United States? I am unable to travel anywhere without someone to accompany me both on flight and for the whole duration of my visit. Can I get any information that would allow me to at least get a discount? I did read older posts on the subject, but wondered if any changes have been made since those threads. Thanks very much for your time and correspondence.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I don't agree with the idea but if you wanted to try for this you'd first want to talk to your Representatives in the House & Senate not a law firm.
Suing because something is law in Canada doesn't apply here.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Not to sound harsh but, why do think you the airlines should be forced to give your companion a free ticket? If you want a seat pay for it like everyone else. Where does it stop?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Flagged for moderators to move to the Travel with Disabilities forum.

For info about the 2008 decision in Canada, see http://www.fodors.com/community/canada/disabled-win-in-airline-ruling-companion-can-travel-for-free.cfm
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Aburning.

We'll relocate this to the Disability Travel forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

You could try flying Canadian airlines; I'd be surprised if such a law would get passed in the US in the foreseeable future.

It's actually useful information for US disabled travelers contemplating flights to Canada or other international destinations as they could fly Air Canada, etc., and take advantage of this. Perhaps details about who, exactly, qualifies to need a companion under this ruling, and certification of the need that is required, if any, would be helpful to US disabled travelers.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
As far as I know, it was the result of a Canadian Supreme Court ruling, not legislative action, and applies only to Canadian domestic flights and only if the person with a disability requires an attendant's assistance during a flight, not if the person requires an attendant only while on the ground during a trip. There's not much here about the implementation, but here's the background (last updated in 2015):
https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/conten...olicy-decision.

Last edited by Giggleswick; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:53 pm
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Not to sound harsh but, why do think you the airlines should be forced to give your companion a free ticket? If you want a seat pay for it like everyone else. Where does it stop?
The rationale is that everyone should have equal access to air travel and this is the government's way of providing that to individuals who need someone to travel with them. Without this, they would always have to pay double to travel and that puts them at a disadvantage.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:44 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
The rationale is that everyone should have equal access to air travel and this is the government's way of providing that to individuals who need someone to travel with them. Without this, they would always have to pay double to travel and that puts them at a disadvantage.
Playing devil's advocate: Why wouldn't children traveling between divorced parents have a companion's ticket paid for? Or the elderly who might not be fit to fly by themselves? They are at an equal disadvantage.

The fact is, in the US our airlines are private companies. The government can't force them to give away their product. The government could choose to subsidize those seats, but it would be at the expense of taxpayers.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that there is no such law in the US and the chances of such a law ever passing Congress are slim. The chances of a court ever ordering a private company to provide a service such as this for which it could other charge are equally slim. Both for the same reasons.

Any such program would likely involve a plan whereby some fund pays for the companion's ticket and that is not in the cards.

It sounds harsh in the abstract, but others point out there are many situations where travel may be important for all kinds of reasons and yet not affordable, yet without money, it can't be done.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Often1
Bottom line is that there is no such law in the US and the chances of such a law ever passing Congress are slim. The chances of a court ever ordering a private company to provide a service such as this for which it could other charge are equally slim. Both for the same reasons.

Any such program would likely involve a plan whereby some fund pays for the companion's ticket and that is not in the cards.

It sounds harsh in the abstract, but others point out there are many situations where travel may be important for all kinds of reasons and yet not affordable, yet without money, it can't be done.
The Air Carrier Access Act does have a section on companion seating. It does not do exactly what the other poster wanted, but there are certain situations where the airline might have to provide a safety attendant, or allow one to fly free with the PWD.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
The Air Carrier Access Act does have a section on companion seating. It does not do exactly what the other poster wanted, but there are certain situations where the airline might have to provide a safety attendant, or allow one to fly free with the PWD.
That is not particularly relevant to this discussion. The sole ACAA fact pattern where that would occur would be the situation where the carrier determines that a prospective passenger is so disabled that the passenger requires inflight assistance from a third person (not crew) and the passenger disagrees with that assessment and asserts that they are capable of managing on their own. In that extraordinarily limited circumstance, the carrier may require the assistant to travel, but must provide the seat without charge.

In OP's situation, he acknowledges that he requires assistance.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Often1
That is not particularly relevant to this discussion. The sole ACAA fact pattern where that would occur would be the situation where the carrier determines that a prospective passenger is so disabled that the passenger requires inflight assistance from a third person (not crew) and the passenger disagrees with that assessment and asserts that they are capable of managing on their own. In that extraordinarily limited circumstance, the carrier may require the assistant to travel, but must provide the seat without charge.

In OP's situation, he acknowledges that he requires assistance.
I agree, but many people misread the ACAA and think they can bring someone for free.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:45 am

Please correct me if I'm wrong (gasp!), but I thought I read that in order to benefit from this (having a companion fly free), that one must purchase the full-fare ticket (sorry, I'm not familiar with the correct terminology), which is comparable to if someone just bought 2 discounted tickets. Is this accurate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.