Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent Italy trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by morelegroom
Ahem NO Vatican city is an autonomous state.
"With an area of approximately 44 hectares (110 acres), and a population of 842,[3] it is the smallest internationally recognized independent state in the world by both area and population."
(wiki)
And for the most part, that independent state complies with local, i.e. Italian or city of Rome, law. The Vatican does not write traffic laws, health and safety standards, etc. With a population of 842 dealing with millions of visitors every year, it makes sense for them to be consistent with local laws except where such laws conflict with Church teachings. I believe the agreement that they do so is written into one of the treaties between the Vatican and civil authors signed in the last 100 years, but off hand, I don't remember which one. It may have one from the time of Mussolini, but I'm not certain on that.

Addendum: I looked it up. Under the Lateran Pact of 1929, the Vatican automatically adopted new Italian laws. This was suspended in 2008, but I believe the access regulations were in effect prior to that.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Dec 8, 2015 at 8:18 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

My husband required wheelchairs during our recent trip to VCE via CDG. CDG is a nightmare. Venice Airport is a wheelchair travelers dream. There was a separate Security Check in area, those who helped were so courteous and efficient. The separate check-in for disabled passengers was really wonderful. This is an airport who got it right when they rebuilt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.