Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

AMTRAK ignores needs of people with disabilities (now what?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Luke Visconti, CEO of DiversityInc. recently began traveling for business once more, as he recovers from a strike. The stroke essentially rendered Visconti hemiplegic, and he has not regained full use of his left side.

He tells the tale in his recent online article Amtrak Humiliates People With Disabilities <Link>. Somevexcerpts below:

Visconti recently was traveling on AMTRAK's premiere Acela train to Washington to join the board of the National Organization on Disability. The day was cold, he arrived early at the terminal. With his disability recorded in his profile, employees ignored him. As the late train approached, he attempted to use the elevator (incorrectly placarded as out of service) to access the platform, but hordes of able-bodied arriving passengers meant the elevator got him to the platform in time to see his train, with a reserved seat in Business, departing without him.

Upon his return to the ticket counter, he was forced to pay a $14 service charge for reissuing the ticket. Nobody was remotely interested in his problem, nobody was concerned the arriving train announcement didn't leave sufficient time for a mobility-impaired person to actually make the train.

And this "premium" train (the equivalent of a standard, non-express intercity train in Europe, but significantly slower) has another problem: seats placarded for people with disabilities and elders are often occupied by able-bodied people, setting up a confrontation with the occupying passenger or to wait for a steward to evict the occupier. (AMTRAK personnel don't seem to be trained to request able-bodied people not occupy "handicapped" and elder placarded seats.)

First class on its premium train, the Acela, actually has reserved handicap seating, but every time I’ve taken an Acela (with a first-class reservation), there has been an able-bodied person in that seat. I know they’re able-bodied, because each time the first-class steward has asked me if I wanted him to make that person move.

Maybe it’s just me, but I find having a disability to be ego-damaging enough without having to have a well-meaning person do what should’ve been done without me having to ask—or without him having to tell somebody who doesn’t have the empathy of a house cat to do the right thing. Not to mention that my reservation included my disability status (this train isn’t cheap), so why wasn’t that seat reserved?
And when Visconti hobbles to the track end his car will be arriving, the WAS employees seem quite disinterested. As he says,

At Washington, D.C., I’ve passed dozens of Amtrak employees lounging on golf cart–type vehicles. They watch me hobble my way down the platform, but are apparently not available to take me or anyone else back and forth.
(In my experience, unlike WAS, MIA's AMTRAK employees are generally friendlier and more attentive; they're quite ready to assist and to transport passengers on the platform in electric carts.)

Visconti is a fighter; he says "I’m not taking this garbage lying down. I’m going to write a series of these columns in solidarity with the millions of people who don’t have an audience." I believe him when he says that, and he addresses the AMTRAK boss with some top notch advice, IMO:

If by any chance this reaches Amtrak CEO Joseph H. Boardman, please don’t send an apology—just fix the problem. Ride your own train, pretend you have a disability and do some quality control. Write a check for a nice donation from your personal checking account to NOD as penance, use the NOD Employment Disability Tracker and make an effort to hire some people with disabilities. You’re a veteran; find some veterans with disabilities. Create a resource group for people with disabilities and task them with giving you ideas. Be the executive sponsor of that group yourself.
Resources

What can I do? Though it sounds like more "put the onus on the person with disabilities" (and it is, until we live in a more egalitarian and aware environment), these may help:
  • Arrive at the station early.

• Be assertive in communicating your needs to station staff; it can be challenging to do so, but persistence, calm demeanor and using the "broken record" technique (repeat your bullet point needs) can make the difference.

• Though it's frustrating, you may have to instruct and educate untrained employees in what to do.

• Thank (and nominate, if possible) helpful employees.

• Write up unhelpful employees and service failures to people with disabilities, and submit them to the station chef, AMTRAK CEO and a copy to the Federal Rail Administration.

AMTRAK contacts, From Elliott.org:

The National Railroad Passenger Corporation, Amtrak, is America’s national passenger rail carrier. Most service complaints involve Amtrak’s aging equipment and infrastructure, which is chronically underfunded by Congress.

60 Massachusetts Ave NE
Washington, DC 20002-4285
http://www.amtrak.com

Phone Contacts
Main: (202) 906-3000
Customer Service: (800) 872-7245

Contact us (Beware of Julie, the “virtual” assistant, who can be quite annoying.)

Email Contacts: [email protected]

For international passengers, try [email protected]
How to File an ADA Complaint with the FRA

Individuals or organizations who believe they have been denied the benefits of, excluded from participation in, or subject to discrimination on the grounds of disability by a recipient of Federal Railroad Administration funding can file an administrative complaint with the Office of Civil Rights under the ADA.

FRA investigates complaints on the basis of intentional discrimination or on the basis of disparate impact discrimination, where a neutral policy or practice has the effect of disproportionately excluding or adversely affecting minority beneficiaries or other protected individuals and the recipient's practice lacks a substantial legitimate justification.

Individuals and organizations may file a complaint by completing the ADA complaint format (see link on the side). Complaints should be signed and include contact information and should be sent to:

Office of Civil Rights
Federal Railroad Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
ROA-10, Mail Stop 5
Washington, DC 20590

FRA strives to promptly investigate the complaints received. At the conclusion of our investigation we will transmit a letter of finding to the complainant and the recipient. If our investigation determines that the recipient is not in violation of the ADA, our letters will explain why the recipient was found in compliance. If we determine that a recipient is in violation of the ADA, our letters will document the violation and instruct the recipient to take action to come into compliance.

No one may intimidate, threaten, coerce, or engage in other discriminatory conduct against anyone because he or she has either filed a complaint to secure rights protected by the nondiscrimination statutes we enforce. Any individual alleging such harassment or intimidation.
US Dept. of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, ADA compliance: http://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0175

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) prohibits discrimination and ensures equal opportunity and access for persons with disabilities.

The Federal Railroad Administration works to ensure nondiscriminatory transportation in support of our mission to enhance the social and economic quality of life for all Americans. The FRA Office of Civil Rights is responsible for civil rights compliance and monitoring to ensure non-discrimination of inter-city rail services.
You'll notice if you read it all the focus is on hard items like platform design, not on assisting diverse people with diverse disabilities. Seems like AMTRAK and it's various providers have fallen into a gap that has them providing disability services and "reasonable accommodation" from 20th century. Given the enormous subsidies from public funds it takes to keep our passenger rail system working, for shame!

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 25, 2015 at 1:58 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:22 pm

Thank you for posting this.

I don't have a lot of Amtrak experience - my last trip was on the California Zephyr (Denver - San Francisco) some years ago - but my general impression of Amtrak as an organization is that their disability viewpoint is still very exception-centered. They haven't internalized the need to make their facilities accessible to all without requiring disabled customers to exert extra effort to make special arrangements.

I'd add to your list of what to do now something that Visconti alludes to: travel is hard (even regular commuting), and sometimes the passenger with a disability is reluctant to use mobility aids that could make it easier.

In Visconti's case, a lot of his experience centers around the inability to maneuver well in crowds and traverse distances in a timely manner, and perhaps going up a notch or two in mobility aids (scooter instead cane or crutches, for example) would be a wise decision. This in no way is intended to excuse Amtrak from making the institutional changes it needs to make in order to accommodate all passengers.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
This article kind of annoyed me. The Onus is on the traveler. I have traveled with (temporary) physical disabilities many times and when I want or need help I ask and get it. I had an arm in a sling & has to use a cane/crutch to walk at age 22. I used a backpack for my luggage to make things easier for me.

I try to be a conscientious traveler and offering assistance in situations I feel one would want it and in the vast majority I get a polite note that the person can handle the situation. Parents with strollers are more likely to accept offers of help than a disabled person in my experience.

Visconti did nothing "wrong" in these experiences except expecting people to just do things because he has a disability. The pants thing is a humbling experience but so is trying to eat a meal and watching it fly across into your seat neighbor's lap because you can only use 3 fingers. I should have asked for help, even from a fellow passenger, in that instance. It's nobody's job to help me get my food to my mouth but it can be nice to get some help from time to time when needed.

Visconti does deserve better service but only if he wants it. If he requests assistance, having it in your profile isn't enough, he deserves the service to get him on that train. It seems to me he is far too passive.

Seems he should spin this around and send out a "How to change Amtrak's interactions with peoples with disabilities" to Amtrak and those talking heads in Congress. It's easy to rant about how things don't work but unless you contribute to the resolution you're still just part of the problem.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Hmm. I've taken the Acela (NY-DC and NY-BOS roundtrip). Always in First. Was always pre-boarded directly from the lounge, so got my reserved seat. In First, everyone is served their drinks and meals (which are far from spectacular) in their seat, so no problem there. The bathroom is fully accessible. Is it the ICE? Far from it, but I received the service advertised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.