Community
Wiki Posts
Search

first time alone disabled

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

first time alone disabled

Hi everyone its going to be my first time doing everything alone.my dad is dropping me off at around 3am and my flight leaves at 6.i need to check my bag go through security and find my gate. i cant stand for long so i was hoping to get a wheelchair with a skycap.united said the skycaps arent available until 3 30am. im thinking of just hanging out until 330 and then hopefully flagging someone down. im nervous about checking my bag so early because i dont want to get lost.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: United MP
Why not get dropped off at 3:30 instead? I've never gone that early so I'm not sure what services are available at that hour.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: priority club
Did you ask United about Skycaps or Special Needs Assistance?

At most airports that I have used Wheel chair assistance is provided by a different department from the luggage porters or SkyCaps.

At most airports you cant just flag down a spare wheelchair - they are only available to those that have requested assistance through the airline

If you need Special needs assistance from car drop off to the checkin desks you need to specifically request that since normally assistance doesn't start until checkin (some airports provide a special telephone at the disabled parking areas but you need to confirm the procedure before hand)
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:34 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

It's good that you're allowing plenty of time, but DeafFlyer has a point - at that time of the morning, things will be really dead anyway, and so you might as well wait until 3:30. It sounds like you've already let United know that you will need wheelchair assistance. If you haven't, be sure to do so. At most airports, there are places to sit near the check-in desks, so if you check in and wheelchair assistance isn't yet available, you'll be able to sit down and wait for it.

In general, stay calm, ask questions if you need to, and be proactive about letting people know what you need, as there are very few mind-readers working for the airlines. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Where are you flying out of and to?
You say you're not able to stand for long but do you also use the assistance of crutches or a cane? Just wondering for the time between your drop off and access to a wheelchair. Some airlines/airports do allow someone to accompany people in these situations. Is that an option for your father? Understandable if you also want to go alone for the experience.
On a side note I have heard from several disabled travelers that they make sure to bring their own snacks as getting around can be bothersome to certain conditions.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
From what airport and on what carrier are you departing? Skycaps may be the wrong term and that means you are getting the right answer to the wrong question.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

im flying ewr newark to mco orlando

i dont need any other assistance like a cane.i will have my boarding pass already printed out. when i go to check my luggage i would hope i could ask for someone there so i can get through security easier.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
EWR is actually a decent airport for you to fly out of on your own as a person with a disability. Getting from the drop off area to inside (assuming you're flying United airlines as I don't know Jet Blue's setup at EWR) is not a far distance and inside you can find benches/seats to rest and pass time until a wheelchair is available. You may also be able to find a United employee out in that area that you can inform of your need of a wheelchair and they can handle checking in your luggage without having you stand for a longer period of time. Once you get the wheelchair assistance you will proceed through security and onwards to the gate. It seems you're giving yourself very ample time so don't rush.
Just a reminder to take any medications (if you take any) with you on the plane in case your luggage is delayed.
Enjoy the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.