Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

United Disability Desk - Canceling Exit Row for O2 Concentrator

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AA Million Mile Gold

If I want to use my authorized O2 concentrator on the long overwater leg of an international that's fine -- I stay out of the exit row.

But on an upcoming flight on the domestic leg, I'm in the exit row and it's the only seat (except center) that's showing as available.

I would like to just elect NOT to use the O2 concentrator as I don't really need it for shorthaul flights.

I have found, though, that United pulls me out of an exit row whether I intended to use the O2 concentrator as they require notification in advance and they flag me in the PNR as "disabled" or whatever the flag is.

I would like to call UA and insist that allow me to keep my exit row seat on the flight where I don't intend to use it. I only need to use it when I sleep, and even then it's just a nice to have item, not an inperative. Do you think I'd have any luck with this, or is it just either or for all legs on the PNR.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you need an oxygen concentrator at all it seems to me that you wouldn't really be exit row qualified.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:05 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
If you get the right agent they can add the O2 concentrator on specific segments, rather than the entire trip, but with SHARES that may still kick you out of the exit row. Many of the good long term agents have left the department with the last round of buy outs.

It took me a while to figure out that SHARES has O2 concentrators lumped in with all other respiratory equipment and when it is in your record it prevents you from checking in online. I spoke with one agent who took my bipap off the record, I checked in on line, then she added it back to the record. Perhaps you can find an agent who will do that for you.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I don't think it's much of a worry; flight attendants announce exit requirements and are required to find alternate seating for those who aren't capable or comfortable with being charged with carrying out exit row duties - assuming contacting the airline, checking in, gate checking haven't taken care of the issue when you mention it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.