Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Temporary Disabilit/Preboard denied

Temporary Disabilit/Preboard denied

Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines/ExPLT/Milion , Hilton, Hertz 5 Star
Question Temporary Disabilit/Preboard denied

Here's the situation:

Passenger with a fractured wrist in a cast, also traveling with onboard pet. Requests pre-board because of extra time to stow pet and get out of way of other passengers (and not get bumped). Pre-board denied by gate agent. Travel ORD-MSY on AE.

On previous flight MSY-ORD gate agent approaches passenger and asks if needs a pre-board, also on AE.

Seems inconsistent; is there any policy on pre-boarding for passengers with temporary disabilities?

I don't think ADA applies here?

Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
ADA applies as does human decency.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:03 pm

The ADA does not apply. The Air Carrier Access Act applies to commercial airlines in the US.

Under the ACAA, airlines must offer pre-boarding to passengers with a disability who identify themselves at the gate as needing additional time or assistance to board, to stow accessibility equipment, or to be seated.

If you feel your rights under the ACAA have been violated and you are still on the aircraft/at the airport, request to meet with the airline's CRO.

If you would like the DOT to investigate your complaint, submit it to:

Aviation Consumer Protection Division
Attn: C-75-D
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave, SE
Washington, D.C. 20590

You can submit complaints via the DOT's website here: http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm

or on paper here: http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/forms/382form.pdf

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.